video connection to projectors etc

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 2ms, Dec 4, 2007.

1. 2ms macrumors 6502

My iMac has this little rounded corner rectanglular video out connector. I need to make a presentation with a projector. Is this some kind of Mac only thing that I'll need some kind of adapter for or what?

2. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

what model iMac is it? What kind of projector?

You will need an adapter, probably the Mini-DVI to VGA adapter. Are you really going to lug your iMac to your presentation, though? Isn't it easier to find someone with a laptop and do it off that?

3. 2ms thread starter macrumors 6502

It's one of the last white iMacs (C2D). The laptops around here don't have the graphics power I need (CAD). Are mini-dv connectors very common? Can I go just about anywhere like Target or something to get one?

4. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

apple sells a mini dvi to dvi adapter for like $30. any electronic retailer should carry it .. Ask for a mini dvi to dvi adapter...

5. 2ms thread starter macrumors 6502

It looks like the projector I'll be using has a VGA connector. Are those adapters any easier more more difficult to find?

6. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

buy a mini dvi to dvi adapter then a dvi to vga adapter.. I have not seen a mini dvi to vga adapter yet..

7. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Apple sells both mini-DVI to VGA adapters, and mini-DVI to DVI adapters, both are $19 at the Apple Store. I have not seen them anywhere else though, as I don't know of any other electronics that use mini-DVI that are not Apple products.

I have a mini-DVI to VGA adapter, and was $19 a week ago.