Video Contest Dilemma

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Jopling, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Jopling macrumors 6502

I was recently asked by The Washington City Paper if they could use 2 of my old videos in a contest for their website. The first few days I was doing well and my one video (Welcome to American University) was ahead of the other videos by miles. Out of nowhere one of the other videos pulled ahead of me and then stopped when they were roughly 20 votes ahead of me. This all happened in the course of about an hour or two. In response I created a facebook event and asked my friends to vote. Over the course of the day I pulled ahead dramatically and once again over the course of an hour the other video pulled ahead by roughly 20 votes. Once again, my friends featured the contest on their radio show and told everyone to vote for my video and again I pulled ahead and this repeated itself a few more times in a similar fashion (always gaining a lead in a short timespan by a minimum of 20 votes). I will admit that my videos (empire of emperors and welcome to au) aren't the best and maybe I don't deserve to win. I did do both the videos over the course of about a day. But it really bugs me and a bunch of my friends were telling me that it seemed suspicious and fit the bill for proxy voting where someone gets a program to mask their IP so their computer essentially anonymous and they can vote as much as they'd like from one computer. I'm really getting miffed and don't know what to do. I don't know if I could pull myself out of the contest just because I would feel bad about giving up. I'm not asking for votes, but I want to know what your take is on the situation. You can check the contest out at http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/display.php?id=36076

(I wasn't sure if this constituted being posted in the Digital Video forum or not, so please excuse me)

2. -DH macrumors 65816

No. It doesn't.

-DH

3. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

At least you're honest: not once do you imply that anyone voted (or even should vote) for your flick because it's the better one!