Video Conversion Speed Question New iMacs

Discussion in 'iMac' started by adeedew, Oct 23, 2012.

1. adeedew macrumors regular

I have a early 2009 iMac which has a 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo i do alot of DVD/Blu Ray conversions to play on my apple tv with either Handbrake or iVL Pro. A Bluray from takes about 8-10 hours convert from a mkv file. On my Retina display which has a 2.7GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz and obviously a SSD drive the same file takes about 2 hours to convert.

I am wondering will i see about the same or close-to same speeds on this new iMac based on the new processor as my Retina Display speeds (New Imac 21.5" either 2.7GHz quad-core Intel Core i5
    Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz or the 2.9GHz quad-core Intel Core i5
    Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz) or with the fusion drive or go SSD all the way on the 27"? Basically would my biggest difference come with the processors or the SDD you think or both? Thanks very much

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

With current CPU's, SSD's don't make much difference if any at all. A hard drive is plenty fast to give the CPU enough data to reencode and to save the new data, but an optical disc isn't.

3. adeedew thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks so SSD isn't as important then the processor as far as video conversion or compression time?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Not with current CPU's. In time they will be, but by then hard drives may be faster as well.