Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
Long time Mac and Mac Rumors forum user who has zero experience with video conversion so all help is greatly appreciated.

I have a few educational videos from years ago that a friend transferred to my HD. These are still VOB files that I view with VLC. I still need some of them, but most can be deleted. For convenience and easy sharing I would like to combine the remaining videos to Quick Time, mov format. Due to the low quality of the originals I don't want any further degradation if possible.

My question to you pros out there is, what is the quickest easiest way to combine and convert these VOB files for someone as inexperienced as me? File size isn't too important as the ones I want to keep are only about 4Gig in total. Is conversion with zero loss of quality even possible? Am I correct in assuming that once converted to QT iMovie would suffice to edit and combine these files? Or should they be edited and combined first before conversion?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Nov 28, 2010
located
If you are not hellbound to the .mov container, the .mp4 / .m4v container should suffice, thus you could use HandBrake and its Normal preset and the Add to Queue button to transcode the video DVDs (if they are still in their original VIDEO_TS folders to .mp4 files readable by QT Player or any other proper video player application.

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
If you are not hellbound to the .mov container, the .mp4 / .m4v container should suffice, thus you could use HandBrake and its Normal preset and the Add to Queue button to transcode the video DVDs (if they are still in their original VIDEO_TS folders to .mp4 files readable by QT Player or any other proper video player application.

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Yes, they're still in the original VIDEO_TS folders. Excuse my ignorance on this subject, but for my purposes, is there any difference between .mov vs .mp4 vs .m4v? I assume that QT reads them all without any problems or need for additional plug-ins?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Thanks for your prompt reply.

Yes, they're still in the original VIDEO_TS folders. Excuse my ignorance on this subject, but for my purposes, is there any difference between .mov vs .mp4 vs .m4v? I assume that QT reads them all without any problems or need for additional plug-ins?

QT Player will read .mp4 and .m4v files just fine, Apple provides its trailers in .mp4 format and its video content from the iTunes Store in the .m4v format.

See this video to learn more about containers and codecs, if you are interested.

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
QT Player will read .mp4 and .m4v files just fine, Apple provides its trailers in .mp4 format and its video content from the iTunes Store in the .m4v format.

See this video to learn more about containers and codecs, if you are interested.
YouTube: video

Much appreciated, thanks for answering my questions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.