Video converter. Whats the best for you?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Deadeye*, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Deadeye* macrumors newbie

Deadeye*

Hello im luking for a free video converter for mac, what do you prefer. a simple but whit some kind of tool to manually adjust video screen size

2. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I use Jodix iPod video converter.
    I don't know if it's available for Mac.

3. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

If you're talking about ripping DVDs for the iPod Touch, I use HandBrake. The presets are really nice. I think that you may be able to convert files that are already on your computer. I've never tried the second option though.

4. Deadeye* thread starter macrumors newbie

Deadeye*

yes i only need to convert files on my computer :)

5. sfs macrumors member

I've been using iSquint. It doesn't offer a preset for the iPod touch, but you can configure the encoder properties to match the right specs. The iPod touch's native res is 320x480, and it supports video up to 640x480. I haven't yet tried scaling anything in iSquint to 320x480 to see if it can handle the aspect ratio change, but I know it can handle widescreen files for the 5th Gen iPod Video, so I expect it should do well. If you're using a TV output, you'll need the 640x480 in its highest bitrate, though.

Update: the latest version of Handbrake, posted yesterday, is now capable of encoding files as well as DVDs. Link: http://arstechnica.com/journals/app...9-3-accepts-any-files-boosts-encoding-quality. I expect this will be the highest-quality tool you can get.

6. Philz203 macrumors newbie

Handbrake does a very good jobs at ripping DVDs as well as converting video from your computer (converting Wall-E right now).
    It's free and the iPhone/iPod touch preset is really handy.
    You should check it out.