Resolved Video converter

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by T.Verhoeven, Jun 16, 2011.

1. T.Verhoeven, Jun 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2011

T.Verhoeven macrumors newbie

After using Handbrake to convert my avi/ mkv and vob files for a few years, I have decided to check out other software too.

To see if it matches the speed and quality of Handbrake. So I stumbled across ffmpegX.

Now I have converted several movies and the picture quality seems about the same as when I convert them with Handbrake (and it converts in half the time!).

As of this moment I am thinking of removing Handbrake and switch to ffmegX, since I don´t see any differences except in the UI of the app. But I am also ´worried´ that I am overlooking something important... I know I can re-install Handbrake in not even five minutes of my time, but I´d rather be sure before I make the switch. Can someone tell me the value of Handbrake over ffmpegX?

Thank you for reading, hope you can help me with this little problem :cool:

2. simsaladimbamba

No need to uninstall Handbrake, as it is only 18.8MB in size.
    Anyway, I don't know about ffmpegx, as I used Handbrake quite sucessful and also use MPEG Streamclip for my more advanced needs.

3. T.Verhoeven thread starter macrumors newbie

It is not the size of the app why I want to delete Handbrake. But my applications folder is really slow, and freezes/ hangs a lot when I am trying to scroll trough my apps. And the less there is installed, the faster it gets.

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

5. T.Verhoeven thread starter macrumors newbie

I like to keep my folders organized.
    But I still don´t have an answer to my question?

6. simsaladimbamba

Handbrake is a bit easier to use, and it is still in development, but if you find ffmpegX more to your liking, and it gives you good results at half the speed, then use it.

7. T.Verhoeven thread starter macrumors newbie

Handbrake easier to use? ffmpegX is drag ´n drop. How easier can it be:rolleyes: But thanks for your help! Appreciate it :cool:

8. simsaladimbamba

Okay, depends on the mind I guess. Anyway, good luck then with ffmpegX I guess.

9. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Is that exactly half, or just an estimate?

If it's (almost) exactly half, it could be that FFMPEG is not 2 passing, whereas handbrake is. If that's the case you should be able to configure FFMPEG to do so. You can read about 2 passing here, personally I think it's a crime not to 2 pass :p

10. T.Verhoeven thread starter macrumors newbie

That was it! Thank you for your helping me out, stupid I didn´t think of that :rolleyes: