Video Converting HD Questions for iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bgiaach, Mar 24, 2012.

1. bgiaach macrumors member

I have an HD movie that plays in full 1080p and the file size is about 2gb. It's an mp4 but iTunes won't recognize it (not sure why) so I decided to use some freeware to convert it into an HD .mov file. The video now works in iTunes but it's 7gb. How the hell can I get it down to 2 or 3 gb like the previous version so it doesn't rape my iPad storage space?

I saw the same movie for sale in iTunes and the 1080 version was 3.2 gb so I know it's possible.

Also, I tried using iTunes "convert to iPad" tool but every time I try to use it I get an error message. I've even uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes and still no luck with that option.

2. sal macrumors 6502

The tool you used to convert probably used a higher bitrate than the original

Use a program like handbreak(free) and use a low bitrate for smaller file sizes use the iPad preset

3. bgiaach thread starter macrumors member

I was going to use handbrake but that only offer a 64bit version right now for Mac and I'm running on an older MacBook pro that doesn't support 64 bit. Also I'm running Snow Leopard 10.6.8

The bit rate was 10000kps. If I lower it to 9000 or 8000 will it diminish the overall video quality to a noticeable amount?

4. sally456 macrumors member