video converting software

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by spaceistheplace, Mar 12, 2011.

1. spaceistheplace macrumors newbie

In preparation for my new iPad 2 (coming soon I hope), I want to start converting my personal collection of movies/tv shows and have them at a higher resolution/better quality.

What software does the MR community use?

I've been personally using ******** for converting movies into iPod format but the quality leaves alot to be desired. Any help would be great.

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

I used to use Handbrake, but I've been playing with the OMovie free iPad app, and it appears to play most video types without having to convert them. YMMV.

3. svenn macrumors 6502

Another handbrake user here, but I know others will chime in with different programs.

4. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

I use Handbrake, but iVi is available on the app store... No idea if it is any good.

5. Stovepiper macrumors member

I have used Handbrake for years but recently started using Vuze for my conversions to Apple TV and iPad friendly formats. It couldn't be easier, just drag and drop.

6. sillyrabbitt macrumors 6502

where do you find Omovie? i looked in the appstore but dont see it?
    can the ipad play divx?

thanks

7. Charlie Sheen macrumors 6502

Charlie Sheen

8. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

i use handbrake with a advanced tagline, the preset in handbrake arent really that good. So im using a advance setting i actually got from the dude behind handbrake back in the december to use with the apple tv. I got awesome quality and great file sizes. High bitrate aswel, i did a comparison to the ipad 2 and apple tv 2 preset, and they looked more noisy and more blocky then the advance one.

So if you know your way around handbrake its quite good, but not out of the box.

9. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

Any details on those settings?

10. spaceistheplace thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. I always thought handbrake was only for Mac.
    Will try it out later.