video converting

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tkjazzer, Jan 21, 2008.

1. tkjazzer macrumors 6502

I wish someone had a Mac centered website like http://all-streaming-media.com/

This guy breaks down every little bit of all the different stream recording and most of the video converting software for windows.

He has pointed me in the right direction with WMrecorder and AVS video converter.

However, I want user friendly programs for macs- no matter the cost.

What are the best programs?

I tried handbrake, and I can't get it to accept the .avi or .wmv file I want to convert... does it only accept DVDs to convert?

Has anyone found a review site that analyzes all of the video converter and stream recorder options there are for macs??

2. TheStu macrumors 65816

What are you trying to convert the video file for? And yes, Handbrake is only for going from DVD to something else.

FFMpegX is quite good, and for an additional $15 (maybe more, maybe less) you unlock quite a bit of extra functionality. It will go from any number of different formats to any number of other formats, with tons of settings in between.

Specifically for converting for the ipod/iphone/appleTV, iSquint is great. It can take in tons of different file types.

If you are trying to convert the video files simply for playback, then you should get Flip4Mac and Perian for Quicktime. Between those two, there is almost nothing that Quicktime can't play. Then, for the rare one that it can't, use VLC.