Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
You mean the ATX Power Supply? No, no, that's a when I have the money project. Right now I can't afford to drop $60+ on a project that's not important to running the household. It's strictly a personal project.

Sooner or later though. It is something I'd really like to get done.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
You mean the ATX Power Supply? No, no, that's a when I have the money project. Right now I can't afford to drop $60+ on a project that's not important to running the household. It's strictly a personal project.

Sooner or later though. It is something I'd really like to get done.

I am curious how that will work with the QS case. Aren't some ATX PSUs bigger than the QS's?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I am curious how that will work with the QS case. Aren't some ATX PSUs bigger than the QS's?
Yes, but the guy I intend to buy the ATX/Quicksilver conversion cable from recommends one or two models that require only slight case modifications. It's one of those models I am looking at right now.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Yes, but the guy I intend to buy the ATX/Quicksilver conversion cable from recommends one or two models that require only slight case modifications. It's one of those models I am looking at right now.

I wonder if it is possible to get a fresh micro ATX PSU from a shop and a blown PSU out of QS and mod the PSU itself. I can have a look in my parts bin if you want to see if I can fabricate one. This way there are no case mods.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I wonder if it is possible to get a fresh micro ATX PSU from a shop and a blown PSU out of QS and mod the PSU itself. I can have a look in my parts bin if you want to see if I can fabricate one. This way there are no case mods.
No, thank you for the offer. But one of the PSUs in that form factor I am looking at is 733W power. No offense, but this is where I will be buying new.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
No, thank you for the offer. But one of the PSUs in that form factor I am looking at is 733W power. No offense, but this is where I will be buying new.

I understand that. I wouldn't dare risk selling a used PSU, even for just the cost of shipping. I was going to say is if I could find a high power PSU that could be modified to fit the QuickSilver's PSU case. That way you don't need to mod the case (that you really like) and just need a dead QS PSU and the one that you want (ATX).

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I understand that. I wouldn't dare risk selling a used PSU, even for just the cost of shipping. I was going to say is if I could find a high power PSU that could be modified to fit the QuickSilver's PSU case. That way you don't need to mod the case (that you really like) and just need a dead QS PSU and the one that you want (ATX).
Again, thank you, but no. When I do this, I'm also going to be modifying additional parts of the case for better cooling. So, this is kind of a little project I am looking forward to. I appreciate it though.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Again, thank you, but no. When I do this, I'm also going to be modifying additional parts of the case for better cooling. So, this is kind of a little project I am looking forward to. I appreciate it though.

Alright. Just figured I would offer so you wouldn't have to modify the QuickSilver's case.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Alright. Just figured I would offer so you wouldn't have to modify the QuickSilver's case.
Like I said, I appreciate it, but either way I am going to be modding the case anyway. I'm looking forward to the project, it's just a matter of money right now.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Like I said, I appreciate it, but either way I am going to be modding the case anyway. I'm looking forward to the project, it's just a matter of money right now.

My iMac G5 project is going to have to wait on money too. I didn't think a rebuild kit was going to be $15.00, but I also may have to do it for the PSU too. :( Either way, I am appreciative to have it and look forward to trying it.

Will the case close properly with the newer PSUs? I wonder if it would help with your new PSU to get one with a top mounted fan and set it for exhaust rather than intake since the heat sink is right there with the case shut? Now you made me want to fix my MDD with the busted PSU... but that is a money project too and I may just rebuild it with mATX PSU parts.

Please do a thread when you start this process with lots of pictures. I am very interested in seeing how this one turns out.

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
You mean the ATX Power Supply? (...).
Partly, I meant the adapter between PSU and Mainboard, that you will get from that guy with the atxg4 site. Well, the warning I read, does apply to the AGP G4 adapter and the second possibility of making it, which is the version he sells, I don't know how it is with the QS adapter.
You may want to have an electrician look at the adapter wiring, before purchase, if there are not already potential risks in the sugguested wiring mod scheme.
In my AGP G4 there is room left, they even molded a part in the bottom plate that holds the PSU and the optical drives, so that it could hold a bigger PSU.
The AGP PSU is 14cm front to rear. The empty molded part is 1cm. (and there is still enough, space for cables).
From bottom to top it is 15cm long and there is ca. 1,3cm space.
Behind the PSU there is additional space left, too. It is 1cm and the PSu itself is 8,5cm thick.
But the QS PSU has this triangle nose that holds the PSU somewhere, though I do not really understand the purpose, since it is hold by the bottom already.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Partly, I meant the adapter between PSU and Mainboard, that you will get from that guy with the atxg4 site. Well, the warning I read, does apply to the AGP G4 adapter and the second possibility of making it, which is the version he sells, I don't know how it is with the QS adapter.
You may want to have an electrician look at the adapter wiring, before purchase, if there are not already potential risks in the sugguested wiring mod scheme.
Well, having an electrician look at it would be a problem. If I have the money for that, then I have the money to have someone else do this for me. And since I do not, I'm just going to have to trust someone who's been doing this for awhile and has a business selling these on the internet.

Please forgive me, I'm not trying to be snarky or rude and I appreciate your cautions. It's just that if I make it myself, I trust MYSELF far less than someone who is doing this as a business. In the end as much as I like my Quicksilver – it's only a machine. This is an experiment and if the experiment fails, well, I have learned for the next time. I don't want it to fail of course, but I just don't have the kind of money to make it foolproof, nor can I justify spending that kind of money to have someone else do this for me.

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
I totally understand. I just thought you perhaps know an electrician (a friend, family member) that could have a look at the scheme. Well, your point that he confidently sells them for a while now is a fair point.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I totally understand. I just thought you perhaps know an electrician (a friend, family member) that could have a look at the scheme. Well, your point that he confidently sells them for a while now is a fair point.
Well, my dad is an electrical engineer, but for a fair number of specific reasons I'm avoiding asking him to do that. He's the only one I know. So, anything else I'd have to pay someone.

I really appreciate the suggestions though. I know where you're coming from and thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.