Video Critique - Music Video

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by bobsaget, Jul 13, 2007.

1. bobsaget macrumors member

Yea, yea, I know, corny song. It was meant to be that way. The feel we were trying to get at was corny song/"gangster" video while still trying to be corny with the video of course.

Let me know what you think, I only want to improve. Point out bad shots, editing, lighting etc...

Thanks.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KdEbSOIZpVU

2. bobsaget thread starter macrumors member

3. Reach macrumors 6502a

I think it works just fine, better than the music. ;)

4. huntercr macrumors 65816

OK I'll bite... let me just say that I thought the video matched the music quite well in terms of what I think you wanted to do. The music and the video both have that sort of "high school project" feel to it, but that fits. The whole thing had a comedic quality to it... I guess I would say "friendly" feel to it. I'm not sure you want to get rid of that.

That said, here's some comments appropriate if you're trying to make it more professional, but they're going to inadvertantly erase alot of the character of your current video. So take it with a grain of salt.

Audio:
    Terrible. :) You really need to perform the song with a better Mic. Surely your school has a studio you can use.

Nitpicking:
    I don't know what you're using to edit, but you need to be able to track your audio and make sure you put your cuts and transitions with the beat. For the most part you do this fine. Timing is extremely important in music videos. Don't transition in the middle of a word being spoken on camera unless it's a power word like "BOOM" or something.

Video:
    If you are wanting to make this look better, you need better subject matter.
    You did right by filming in bright daylight. Stay outside. Are you filming in 16:9 or cropping later? In either case, you need to select subject matter where it is important to have this aspect ratio or get rid of it... put yourself to the far right or left. You did this sometimes in the video like at 0:17, but your angle is boring. Could you have caught those bars on the windows at a sharper angle? Same thing with the Sandpoint Amtrak sign. You need to try harder to show depth in your shots.

You cut off your subjects mouths on the pan through 1:01-1:04. if this is because you are different heights, get the one guy to stand on something, or stand back further and have the camera man shoot lower from below.

When you're showing the resturants and all, closeups of the signs or the front of the store, but not head on. They don't all have to be extreme angles.. just get a variety. Get random shots of a customer or a waitress and roll the camera out or some other fast transition. You even mention the menu on the wall for petes sake. You've got to show something! :)
    Do something more to put the audience in there with you. Why should they care about these places? Make them at least think they should be interested.

camera crew visable at 0:44 on through the whole side view mirror thing.

The slo-mo "driveby" shot at the amtrak station is good, but then a fast moving scene follows the immediately. This is just my opinion, but I bet it would work better to have that scene slowed down as well.

on an extremely flat scene like what's at 1:09-1:13, you should consider adding a slow zoom in towards your body maybe 10% zoom in by the end. You want the zoom to be only sight and natural. Also it seems weird that you pose for the train in the middle of the shot. I would clip off the begining and the ends of this shot and slow it down to fill the empty space.
    After watching this scene again, I think maybe it works. I dunno. try it both ways.

Your final shot is by far the best. Whatever color filters and speed effect you did are nice. Not sure if your camera 'walking' was on purpose or not, but it worked only because the speed was slowed. The audio kills this scene though.. the "oh sh*t" part just takes you out of the scene which is fading to black. No point.

OK that's my 2 cents.

All in all, it's a pretty good attempt.

5. swwack91 macrumors 6502a

the angles were good, but the music killed it for me. all of my music videos have some kind of story, but yours followed more closely to what modern music videos tend to be.

check out some of mine! the link is in my signature.