Video downloading/importing help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WannaBMW3, Mar 1, 2008.

1. WannaBMW3 macrumors regular

WannaBMW3

Basic video importing help...

Just some quick questions from a newbie to the Mac family...

What would be the best

1. Easiest/free program to use for downloading youtube videos?

2. Best USB Capture device to use for...transferring my stored movies/shows/programs on my dish network hd-dvr (the dvr has every output you can think of, HDMI/Component/S-Video/Composite)?

3. Best program for transferring my home DVD collection (348 in total) to my mac and/or pc?

Thank you to any response you may have!

2. mynameismatt89 macrumors 6502

For ripping your movie collection to your computer you could use MacTheRipper. It's fast and it's default settings work great.

3. WannaBMW3 thread starter macrumors regular

WannaBMW3

I will definitely give that a look...thanks!

4. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

Downloadthemall addon for firefox works well. There are lots of options for firefox. Or you could just go to activity monitor in Safari and copy the file out but that is a little more tedious.

Most people use eyeTV I think. I just digitize with my camcorder and import into the Mac.

Handbrake will rip and encode most DVDs.

5. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

You can do it through safari with no additional add ons. When looking at a youtube page in safari with a video you want to save:

1) open the Activity window ( Window menu > Activity ) and select the .swf file in the list and copy it.

2) open the Downloads window ( Windows menu > Downloads ) and hit paste.

That's all there is to it. When you have the swf file saved on your disk you can play it through safari, vlc, or adobe's flash player application.