Video editing, 320GB enough

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ajo, Oct 26, 2007.

1. ajo macrumors 6502

I will be doing a little video editing, nothing major really. Is the base 320GB harddrive enought to last me a while.

Thanks

ajo

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'm not a video editor, but I imagine the answer to your question is relative.

It's depends on what a "little" means and how long a "while " is, and then what sort of video you're editing (quality wise) and with what program.

3. Queso macrumors G4

Providing you're not doing anything in HD there will be plenty of space. However, I find that using the OSX system drive results in quite a bit of fragmentation, so have an external FireWire drive to use as a scratch area when working on a project. For you it depends on how big your projects are.

4. ljones macrumors regular

I suggest having multiple hard drives. I have 3 in my Mac pro. One for the system, one for my work, and another for storage and render files.

I don;t do HD work, but i watched my 250 shrink rapidly. So i went and purchased a 500. My system resides on a 80gig drive, which is enough room for a ton of apps and settings.

You can never have enough space when it comes to video.

5. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

DV video is 13GB per hour of footage....you can use that to calculate whether or not you have enough space for your project.

6. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I used to think 320 gigs was enough, but I don't think it is.

Since I have a Mac Pro, I was able to put 5 hard drives inside of it.

It sounds like you are getting an iMac?

7. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

Buy an external firefire 800 HDD 500GB or better

it will be pleanty fast for working with video (most of your time will be encoding)

8. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

The More The Merrier

DV NTSC Renders from certain apps, with no compression, a lot higher than 13 GB hr.
    It Compresses down to that, but that's another thread.
    I would get at least 2 Firewire HD's,
    The 500-750 GB drives are coming down in price a lot over the last 6 months, & It's a good investment if you need them.
    I had a 500, 250, & a 100 GB external on my last project & I still had to transfer some things off, till needed again. Not to mention doing backups.
    Made my last DVD backups of the finished project (2 1/2 years + of work 5645 Hours) & 2 weeks later, my 250 GB died.
    Moral to that one: Backup to DVD/Other media periodically.
    Saved My Buttocks.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I would suggest getting the largest one you can afford. It helps future proof your system.

10. seany916 macrumors 6502

if you are going to do less than 3 projects a month, start with what you have

If you are going to be running multiple projects, HD, or averaging 2 or more projects a month, then get an external

eSATA if you can hook it up to your computer
    FW800 if your computer supports it
    FW400 as last resort, but works fine for DV/HDV (less than 4 streams)

The Quad from G-Technology is pricey, but very flexible for you future needs and they make reliable eHDs. If you're going to get an external, do the math and find the sweet spot in the price points. Higher capacity, but not the highest one is usually about right.

iMovie '08 is pretty amazing if you're not already running FC.

I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but after having talked with and watched a presentation on iMovie '08 by it's creator, I believe it is a few generations ahead of Final Cut. It's missing a LOT of features and people are screaming for '07 back, but I believe it's the direction of future video editing.

My hearty recommendation to anyone that is not a professional or already heavily invested into Vegas, Avid, FC, to really spend the time in iMovie '08. I believe it fulfills 80%+ of what most people would be doing in the pricier programs.

11. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Final Cut Pro's standard DV NTSC setup is 13GB/hr for DV video. 500-750GB is overkill for the OP imho.

12. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

On zee MacPro.. I've used 200GB just in raw DV and thats around 8/9 music gigs that I recorded. So, as said already, it really does depend on how much you plan on recording and editing.

If you arent sure how much you will be doing (which sounds odd anyway) then start off with a nice 250GB FW drive (always FW) and see how you get on, if you find you need more space, then get another. Simple.

13. Matiek macrumors member

Esata/usb hard drives aren't very expensive and esata is faster than firewire 800. If you can hook up esata to your computer (I use an express card adapter I bought for $40 on newegg.com) than I would say go that direction. I haven't seen any dropped frames using this set-up with the Lacie Quadra; However, I wouldn't recommend buying the Quadra.

I would guess that if you're just planning to use Imovie to cut a couple hours of home movies together that you would probably be fine with using the 320gb hard drive and that you wouldn't have that much of a problem with dropped frames. If your trying to keep cost down by using an existing hard drive you could probably get away with using a usb if you have nothing else. You might get a couple of dropped frames and practice your patience a little bit but no biggy

14. irontony macrumors member

Another one for external firewire 800 drive and 500GB+ 16MB cache. I have done so myself and firewire 800 screams. Perfectly suitable for DV and HDV.

15. amakh007 macrumors member

FW 800 with 500 GB here. I use it for saving all my DV and HD footage. I rec it.....

16. NP3 macrumors regular

Whatever you do, don't get a USB2.0 drive. It doesn't have the sustained read/write that even firewire 400 has (while yes, it can burst faster than firewire400) Unless you're doing HDV (Sony's HD format) or another high end HD format, you really don't need a Firewire 800 drive.

It all depends on the types of projects you will be doing. Are you planning to put family tapes straight to dvd? Where you can import, then burn, then erase the project. Not so much required.

Or will you be importing 10 tapes and cutting them all together?

If the latter, 320 should be enough...as that will give you enough room for Render files, and making dvd images to burn.