video editing advice with portable

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sbb155, Jul 4, 2007.

1. sbb155 macrumors 6502

Need portable for imovie editing
    How much does the MBP give me over the MB?
    How much will they perform better than my current MB (original core duo 1.83 - first intel mac)
    I also edit mpegs with mpeg streamclip and qt.

No final cut work.

Does the video card matter that much?
    Assume 2gb ram in any machine.

Thanks.

2. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

I've edited using a MB and MBP and the difference is in Final Cut, not iMovie. I really don't think its going to make a difference for you if you don't plan to use the Pro apps. Not a $1000+ difference anyways.. More RAM is where its at. :D

3. seany916 macrumors 6502

It's a better computer. It doesn't look or feel like a toy.

The Macbook is smaller than MBP, but about the same weight. The MB is not really much more portable.

(go ahead and flame, it's a personal opinion)
    The Macbook is the better value at first glance, but over the long run, I believe the MB Pro is the better value. Better computer, better build,

Don't cheap out on your computer. Ever.

4. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Video editing doesn't use a video card at all unless you're doing 3d compositing. So regular cutting clips and **** is going to be virtually the same on a Macbook or a Macbook Pro.

5. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Do you ever see yourself outgrowing iMovie? If not, then a Macbook would more than suit your needs.

6. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

MacBook Pro gives you the option of 4gb of ram.

7. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Which is completely unnecessary for editing home movies. 1GB would do, 2GB is more than enough.

8. Igantius macrumors 65816

I'm not going to get into the whole MBP versus MB debate, but I'll just stick to what you asked....

Okay, first up - did you mean what improvement a new MBP would give over your old CD MB? If so, it will be plenty - in fact, a C2D MB would give you a big speed bump. The CD processors run a fair bit slower than C2D ones - it varies from process, but you would always notice it. Additionally, your MB has a a L2 2MB cache - all current MBs and MBPs have 4MB; it does make a difference.

The video card doesn't enter into it; editing video is a CPU rather than GPU intensive app. If you compare the performance, in say Final Cut Pro, before the SR MBPs were introduced, then MBs and MBPs were, to all intensive purposes, equal. I could link to benchmarks, but it's not relevant here and they're easy to google.

The new MBPs as well as faster processors, also have a faster FSB (800MHz as opposed to 667MHz) - you would notice a clear improvement.

Obviously, you've also got a bigger screen with the MBP and I would argue that this would give you a performance improvement too as you can work more efficiently on a larger screen workplace... personally, I would use an external monitor, but that's by the by.

So, in short the MBP would be a better machine to edit video. However, I would have a think how much you're editing video and how much the CD MB is holding you back in terms of effiency/perfomance.

9. Bob Jovi macrumors regular

I edit in FCP alot on my macbook and it works a treat. for home videos it would make a great purchase.

10. Igantius macrumors 65816

Very true, but the OP says he's already has a 1.83GHz CD MB and he's asking whether he would see much of a performance if he got a MBP.

11. seany916 macrumors 6502

For what you're doing and your needs. Stick with what you have. At least until BluRay comes out.

Talk about cheap archiving!!!