Video editing advice

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by boozer, Jun 3, 2009.

1. boozer macrumors newbie

I have a long video, i need to splice segments of it and reedit it into a new video.

Whats a good and easy program to use to extract these segments and make a compilation video and how do I use the program.

FYI. Im relatively new to the video editing game.

2. brmaki macrumors regular

brmaki

i would probably go with imovie, it's really simple to use and you can view video tutorials on the help tab or on apple's website to aid you in getting started. asking how to use a program is pretty vague, just jump into it, it's not that scary after the initial step, haha. definitely come back with other questions you may have and good luck! -brad

3. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

I'll second that. If you're new to editing video, stick with iMovie. It should be bundled with your mac. Any other editing software is going to cost you money and will probably provide an array of features that you don't really need.

4. Olivier L. macrumors member

How would oyu do that in iMovie? I am asking about a general strategy. After importing a long single clip in it (a 3 hours movie), how can you cut it in pieces and arrange them in the timeline? I have tried iMovie and could not figure out how to do that.

I remember playing with Adone Premiere on a PC long time ago: you could view the imported sequence (even 3 hours) in a preview window, define IN and OUT and drag and drop the segment into a "rush" folder or directly in the timeline. That way, you could start by preparing all the little segment you will need for your remix.

I have not yet understood how to do that in iMovie.

Any hint welcome (and that should apply also to the OP I think).

Thank!

Olivier.

5. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

iMovie will take ages to import it. I would steer clear of the imovie route.

Maybe something like final cut as it does not need to import the original file, if you set the sequence settings right you won't need to render either!

6. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

The question is answered here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=710887

(boozer posted the same thread twice)