Video Editing & Graphic Design on the 13" Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Titanium81, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

Anyone doing this? How does the Air hold up for this type of use?

2. Titanium81 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

3. aleni macrumors 68020

depends on how u use it.

video editing for family video is going to be fine, but it will take a little longer to finish than the current line up mbp.

im making tshirt design, i work with 300dpi with 4000 x 5000 pixels, my 17" mbp with core 2 duo 2.66ghz and 8GB of ram plus corsair SSD is working just fine with it. the only lacking thing from the mba is only its 4gb of ram.

so if u're woking with big images in photoshop or doing video editing, make sure your mba not running so many apps because it will eat the 4gb ram pretty fast. hell the mba even has less memory than 4gb because of the shared memory VGA thing.

4. Titanium81 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

So it's really a pretty limited machine?

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

If it's not your prime Photoshop device, the MBA is excellent for smaller changes if your with a client, having a portfolio demo on the go, and being able to just create on the fly.

The 4GB limit will be a restriction, but it depends on the size of the project and how many layers you actually work with, so the degree it restricts you will be variable.

Up until CS5 went 64bit, Photoshop could actually only access 4gb maximum memory anyway - so if your using an older machine with earlier version of photoshop you may not notice any difference anyway.

In which case it will be more than serviceable, heck I've been full-time graphic designer for 12 years. I remember when I started I could go and have a cup of tea and sandwich in the time it took to do some things in early Photoshop and that was on my brand new £5000 mammoth workstation with lots of expensive scsi hard drives. So things certainly have improved over the years :)

However if you are using the latest 5 & 5.5, and have access to pool of memory more then it may indeed be noticeable.

HOWEVER the biggest concern if the MBA is your prime Photoshop device would have to be color accuracy of that 13" panel, where even a slight tilt changes the color, making accurate color judgment impossible.

Try explaining to a client that was the orange they wanted but it just looked different on your screen... They won't be happy ;)