Video Editing: iMac 27" vs MacBook Pro 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Harpreet.Bedi, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Harpreet.Bedi macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I am college student and I am into making movies. I am planning to buy a computer solely dedicated for using video editing softwares such as, CS 5 suite and Final Cut Studio.

My budget only allows me to either go for 27" iMac with 3.4GHz i7 with 2GB ATI 6970m graphics card or a higher end 15" MacBook Pro with 1GB ATI 6770m and 2.4GHz i7.

I want this computer to be a learning tool for making movies so that I can try almost everything out, even 3D graphics softwares like 3ds Max.

The MBP and iMac have more of less the same performance, my question here is.

How much impact does the 27" screen have in editing videos, do you think a 27" display is really amazing for editing videos. Also how much performance degradation will I face if I connect the MBP to an external 24" HD monitor.

I am currently using 13" Al MacBook which I won't sell.

Thanks,
    Harpreet Bedi

2. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

If I was in your situation I would get the 15" with an external screen because that extra space you get is really worth it.

3. Harpreet.Bedi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks your for reply.

4. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

If you're currently using a MacBook Pro 13", there isn't much sense in buying another computer of the same type even though it's faster... you are better off getting a 27" iMac with the fast processor that will be great for video editing and pretty much everything else. Having a screen that size for Final Cut Pro X is important, and you will get slightly better performance from the iMac than you would hooking up the MacBook Pro to a 24".