video editing - imovie and iphoto

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bcnmac, Dec 11, 2013.

1. bcnmac macrumors member

Hi,

I was hoping I could get some feedback based on your experiences. I have all my pics and videos from our iphones in my iphoto library.

I want to edit the videos through imovie. There is a lot of superfluous video from all the iphone videos. But it seems like I can reject part of the the clips that come from iphoto.

Is there a better way to organize the media files? I tried importing an iphone video into imovie, but it seemed to get transcoded into a larger file.

Thanks!

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

iMovie is designed for editing your video clips, rather than storing them, which is why they end up in iPhoto when you import from your iPhone.

I make a Project in iMovie of just the bits that I want, then Export As a Movie, store that in the Movies folder and then delete the imported clips from iPhoto.

3. bcnmac thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply.

So you delete your iphone videos from iphoto once you have a edited video? Do you reimport this to iphoto for syncing?

I meant to say before, imovie will NOT let you reject iphoto clips. That is my frustration also. There are standalone videos in iphoto (kids, trips) that are cool, but with a worthless minute at the end.

I hoped I could multitask in imovie (edit videos together and clean up clips) but I have not been able to figure out how.

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

In general, yes.

If you mean synching back to your iPhone, I don't bother, but you'd probably need to put the finished movies into iTunes to do that, not iPhoto.

5. bcnmac thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply.

I guess I'll have to edit the videos and then delete the originals. Do you know if the rendering time is quick? Does the quality change? It seems laborious for a trim. (it just seems counterintuitive).

I'm not trying to edit them together, rather I'm trying to clean them up. It's unfortunate that I can't do that from imovie.

I'll import them back into iphoto to keep all the kiddie pics together.

Thanks again!

6. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

I think you mean iPhoto, because you can certainly do that from iMovie.

If you open a movie from within iPhoto, it opens in Quicktime. Quicktime has a Trim function, so you might like to try that. See here:
    http://www.mactips.info/2009/10/how-to-trim-a-movie-with-quicktime-player-10

7. bcnmac thread starter macrumors member

Wow! Great idea. I didn't even think about that.

What I said about imovie, though, still stands. The clips I import into imovie I can trim and reject sections of. The iphoto clips in imovie I cannot. It would be great if the Quicktime idea was incorporated transparently into iMovie.

However, your idea at least gives me a workflow.

Thanks again!