video editing: new MB vs 17" MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sbb155, Nov 24, 2007.

1. sbb155 macrumors 6502

I use my mac only for video editing, playback with quicktime, and presentations with keynote. That, and web surfing. That is it.

I have an original MB, 2Ghz Core duo (not core TWO duo)

How much better will the current MBP or MB be for my purposes?
    Is there any advantage for the MBP over the MB for video? Assume both will have 2GB ram

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Screen real estate. The 17" MBP will be a huge compared to your current MB setup. It can also drive a better external monitor, like an ACD.

It might help to know what app you're using to edit video, too. Any HD video? If so, again the MBP will suit you better.

3. sbb155 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

A MBP and MB with the same processor (2.2 GHz MB and 2.2 GHz MBP) and ram (2GB) will perform exactly the same. For regular editing, the only advantage the Pro has is the extra screen resolution, which isn't really necessary. I used FCE on an old 12'' iBook before.

5. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

... exactly the same, that is, until you enter HD video production... the MB (believe me) will only take you so far.

6. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

The only new challenge with HD video is that it takes more processing power for rendering and playback. As was mentioned before, the MB and the MBP have the exact same processor, so you're gaining nothing in this area by switching to the MBP. The main advantage the MBP gets you is a matte screen, which is more color accurate, and increased screen real estate. Other than those two things, you're basically working with the same beast.

7. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Then you probably need a Mac Pro. The only difference internally between the MB and the MBP is the graphics card, which has absolutely no effect on video editing. (only compositing, motion graphics, color grading)