Video Editing on a MacBook??

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by thouts, Sep 17, 2008.

1. thouts macrumors regular

thouts

I've had a 15" Powerbook G4/80GB HDD/2GB RAM for about 4 years now. I've worked with mostly FCP for editing. Also burning DVD's with iDVD. I've got an offer on my PB for $750 bucks. Should I take it and buy a low end MacBook? Basically wondering if anyone edits with FCP on their MB and how that works for them? I realize that new MacBooks are coming out soonish and I'll happily wait for that. BTW video editing is only a hobby, not a pro or anything. Applications for pro use include CS3 apps mostly.

Opinions Please?

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

3. highjumppudding macrumors 6502

highjumppudding

macbook will do you fine. you'll see a huge speed increase.

4. Jonnyfive macrumors regular

I chose a macbook as my main video editing laptop because I had read benchmarks that showed the Macbooks with the original slower intel processors as faster than a dual G5 tower.

5. xStep macrumors 68000

Note the version of FCP you are using. You'll want the Universal version which includes Intel support. If you have to upgrade, then it may not be worth it just yet.

Also, I'd like to see reports of how well the Real Time effects work on a mere Macbook.

6. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

FCP works pretty well on a MB, but none of the other apps work. Well, DVDSP probably does, but no motion, or color without a real gpu.

But, compared to your 4 year old laptop, I dont see any disadvantages.

7. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

You won't regret buying the Macbook Pro though - especially for video editing.

8. tonie macrumors 6502

Man, I would accept the offer without a doubt. Who would pay that much for a PB when you can almost get a MP with that price?