Video editing on macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tallestof4, Aug 12, 2008.

1. tallestof4 macrumors member

I have been looking on the internet and i was wondering if a macbook would be alright for video editing. I don't think ill be able to stretch for the macbook pro. Btw... i am currently a pc user and this will be my first mac, testing the waters!:apple:

2. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

i have a macbook, and have done a little editing on it using imovie 08 and also final cut express 4..

it seems to handle standard dv tapes fine... but it gets a little slow using editing 1080i HD.. and iMovie 08 won't let you import 1080i anyway, as a warning comes up..

bearing in mind this is on my core duo 2.0ghz 2gb ram macbook... not sure if things have changed with the current core2duo macbooks...

3. tallestof4 thread starter macrumors member

i hope to get a 2.4gh macbook with 2gb ram and want to run FCE... how is the speed on this, and is it possible to use hdv footage?

4. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

I have imported and edited 1080i video on FCE on my Macbook. No issues at all. You will love it!

5. Jpoon macrumors 6502

If you're just doing some home editing and or You Tube type videos, the MacBook will do fine.

If you're doing professional video work and frequently use professional video editing software, you probably want a MacBook Pro, because you're a power user.

Simple as that :D

6. CPD_1 macrumors 6502

The major difference between the macbook and the macbook pro in programs like FCE is rendering times, but if you don't mind waiting a while, the macbook can more then capably handle HD content. I've edited about 15 hours worth of HD footage in the last year on my macbook. Was it a pain waiting for rendering times? Yes. But I did it.

7. McDughf macrumors regular

I have edited professional video many times on my MacBook. I have the original core duo 2.0GHz with just over 1 gig of ram installed, and I find it to be great. Granted I have a PowerMac G5 for my main machine, but when out in the field and I have to throw together an impromptu report and stuff, my Macbook has never let me down.

I capture my footage, and then using the FCP Media Manager I Create a lower resolution proxy version which I will use to edit the rushes into a rough cut, and then tighten the sync, till I have my final cut. Since you are working with low res media files the laptop can handle it with no problems. After Your final cut is ready, just use the media manager again to replace the low res files with the high res ones, And render out your show.

Barney

8. willpoker macrumors newbie

I have a Black MacBook and it does fine with video editing. The only upgrade that the Pro gives you in Graphics card. You will be fine with the MacBook. I edit all the time and I am never slowed down. I would recommend a 4GB Ram upgrade if your going to do quite a bit of editing though.

9. great high wolf macrumors regular

great high wolf

Another vote for perfectly able here. In fact, I'm just playing back a rough cut of something in iMovie 06 right now. :p

Can't say I've tried FCE on here, but I'd say there shouldn't be a problem.

10. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

I haven't worked with FCE on my macbook either, but I have no problem working with Final Cut Pro, even when having Photoshop open simultaneously.

11. tri3limited macrumors 6502

Meh... It does it fine but nothing special. I would personally recommend saving up and getting refurbished MacBook Pro, or if portability isn't actually that important a refurbished iMac.

They're all in perfect condition just cheaper!

Also if you are a student, you didn't mention it but it's worth noting, you can get significant discounts off the full models (top model iMac for £1,200 odd) but it's best to call as you'll get a better discount.

Also it's worth calling Apple anyway as you might be able to negotiate a free copy of iWork or AppleCare!

12. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

I've used iMovie 08 and it takes time to import and convert movies. iMovie 08 is OK for very very basic editing - can't tell you about FCE - sorry

13. tallestof4 thread starter macrumors member

14. tallestof4 thread starter macrumors member

How are you able to do this? It sounds like a great idea!

15. EmptyCalm macrumors member

No problems for me running iMovie 06. 08 sucks

16. Podgie macrumors newbie

Podgie

I found the same problem. iMovie 08, I wasn't a fan. So I went and downloaded iMovie HD (previous version) It was also completely free so if you want to do some mild editing (better then 08) get iMovie HD. Lets you do a bit more with an easier interface. However if you are going to go hard out, maybe upgrade your ram to 2GB if it's not already and invest in Final cut (that way it will run more smoothly when editing with more ram)

17. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Does that mean FCE and whatnot take advantage of graphics cards?

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Did you test this or read it somewhere?

19. CPD_1 macrumors 6502

I tested it, but...

I should clarify. This was a 2.1 MacBook vs. a 2.4 MacBook Pro. So, I'll admit, it's very likely that the 2.4 MacBooks will be virtually identical to the low end MacBook Pro as far as FCE rendering time goes. It may have been helpful for me to clarify that from the beginning.

FCE itself doesn't, but many FxPlug effects do, and that's where I see the biggest performance boost.

20. tallestof4 thread starter macrumors member

Any other opinions would be greatly appreciated!!!

21. bartzilla macrumors 6502a

I'm the deputy head of IT at a college in the UK. I've purchased a bunch of macbooks to replace some powerbook G4s for use by students to edit video in Final Cut Pro / Studio / Whatever it's called this month.

The staff who teach that course are delighted with the performance of the macbooks I purchased (C2D 2.4, 4GB ram, 250Gb HDD) when compared to the powerbooks. The member of staff responsible for issuing them to the "chosen few" is having to fight off other people with a big stick.

I suspect that MBPs would be better if you needed to do a lot of heavy lifting in Final Cut, but for us it was the choice of having to get 2 or 3 less laptops if we went for MBPs.

22. tallestof4 thread starter macrumors member

So you were able to run final cut studio on the macbook. If so, how was the performance (fast/slow) and do you think it could handle HDV?

23. bartzilla macrumors 6502a

Very fast at what our staff and students do.

Can't say, I'm an IT guy not a video editing guy. I don't know what level they work at in our classes and don't want to guess and risk wasting your time, let alone your money.

24. McDughf macrumors regular

Sorry mate,
    didn't realise you had asked another question.:p

As I mentioned before, Final Cut Pro has a built in media manager which will allow you to use these low resolution proxy versions of your movie file. You can use it to automatically re-connect to different versions of your media, which may be different resolutions, colour corrected etc.

Sorry, I shouldn't call it the media manager, as this referrers to something different. The Option is located in the file menu under "Reconnect media".

Hope This Helps!

25. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

actually you want a mac pro. A macbook pro is still not up to task for serious video editing with such a small resolution and screen space.