Video editing on MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by thouts, Sep 17, 2008.

1. thouts macrumors regular

thouts

I've had a 15" Powerbook G4/80GB HDD/2GB RAM for about 4 years now. I've worked with mostly FCP for editing. Also burning DVD's with iDVD. I've got an offer on my PB for $750 bucks. Should I take it and buy a low end MacBook? Basically wondering if anyone edits with FCP on their MB and how that works for them? I realize that new MacBooks are coming out soonish and I'll happily wait for that. BTW video editing is only a hobby, not a pro or anything. Applications for pro use include CS3 apps mostly.

Opinions Please?

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I don't think FCP will even run on a MacBook because it requires dedicated video memory. The MacBook shares video memory with RAM.

3. Mikebuzzsaw macrumors 6502

Macbook is too underpowered to really video edit easily. MBP is your best bet (since it has a dedicated video card).

4. UndertheRadar macrumors member

Not true at all. I run Final Cut on my macbook. Hell i edited my feature on it. The only area that might get dicey is motion and color. i haven't had any problems with color but i have heard of others complain. if you get one, just max out the ram. there are new macbooks on the horizon so if you can :)wait.

BTW compressing is almost as fast as my quad core mac pro rev a

5. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Final Cut Pro and Express run just fine on MB (or Minis for that matter) as they use the cpu for their work. The exceptions are Color, Motion and a few filters of FCP that leverage the gpu. If you don't use those, then the MB is fabulous for video. Save your money over a MBP and buy a couple of 1.5 tb FW drives and a 24" external display.

6. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

I wish people would stop posting complete false statements about how programs like Final Cut and Photoshop require a dedicated graphics card. It's a stupid thing to say and it probably means a lot of people have wasted money on MBPs when a MB would do.

The mid level macbook has the same processor as the base MBP. They both can hold 4GB of RAM and use the same hard drives... Other than the graphics card and some other nice extras they are fairly similar in speed.

7. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Well done that man.