Video Editing On Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by guit4rk1d, May 19, 2009.

1. guit4rk1d macrumors newbie

hello everyone i am going to purchase a mac very soon. I have a few questions though.
    1. Will a macbook 2.0 ghz model run sony vegas 8 pro via bootcamp or vmware fusion i think its called. And can it handle Final cut pro or After effects cs4.
    2. If i upgraded to 4 gigs of ram would i see a big difference.
    3. Is there going to be a big difference between this model of the macbook and the 2.4ghz model(i dont care to much for the keyboard)
    4. Will this handle HD video good.
    Sorry for the really long post but i am very nervous to switch from a pc!!
    Thanks

2. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

i edit HD content or close to ti on Final Cut Express on my macbook which sports a 2.1ghz and 1gb RAM perfectly fine. You'll be able to run sony vegas via boot camp easy no problem. if your going to do it on vmware. i suggest you have 4gb

and when editing videos. having more than enough RAM is highly suggested. you never know when something might come up when editing that will require lots of memory to keep it up. the 2.0ghz is good, but for video editing i suggest a more faster processor, if you have the cash get the 2.4 and make sure you have 4gb of RAM

though like i said i edit HD content via FCE on my macbook 2.1 with 1gb fine. so you'll have a more easier time with 4gb of ram

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

1. Yes, via BootCamp, as the specs for Vegas vers. 9 are only requiring half the MB's specs.
    Via Fusion, I don't know, as the implementation of the graphics card might not be ideal for use with a video editing software.
    It can handle FCP/FCE and After Effects, but AE might run a little bit slow with complex scenes.

2. You will see a difference, however how big it is, I can't tell. You will be able to run more applications at the same time without running into lag problems.

3. The only difference is the 0.4 GHz more CPU speed (20% more speed) and the backlight keyboard. If you need that speed (due to rendering long scenes), get the 2.4 model.

4. I don't know, it also depends on the HDD setup and the codec used.
    Uncompressed footage will be a major pain in the asymmetric photons, compressed footage (with AIC - Apple Intermediate Codec) might be doable.

Also look into the refurbished Mac section of the Apple Online Store to get better deals for better machines.