video editing on new retina macs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ygys, Dec 31, 2014.

1. ygys macrumors member

hey guys. Few weeks ago my 2011 15" macbook pro was stolen.
    It was the top of the line macbook and I used it mostly for video editing.
    Final cut pro and adobe premiere were the apps that I used the most.

Right now I am using my "web machine" 2010 11" macbook air. But for my purposes it is almost unusable

So I am searching for new computer

I have to travel a lot so I need a laptop, so no iMac or Mac pro

screen size is not a dealbreaker since everywhere I go, I have a access to connect my computer to an external monitor.

I have no idea what is the real world performance of todays computers (since my mbp was 3,5 years old )

I definitely do not want a computer with dgpu since it was failing in my last one.

I am sure that I want 16gb of ram

so my options are

middle rmp 13" with 16gb Ram (1699$)
    + smaller for traveling
    + longer battery life
    + faster processor when considering one core applications
    + less expensive

-worse graphics card
    - 2 vs 4 core processor

my question is if I will choose bto faster processor, is it going to be worth the buck considering the change in the final performance ?

how many monitors am I able to connect to this computer ?

base 15" (1999$)
    everything vice versa from the 13" version

I am not able to update any of the parts because of my budget.

what would you recommend according to your own personal experience ?

2. GoldfishRT macrumors 6502

GoldfishRT

You'll want the quad for video editing and rendering. Go for the 15".

3. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

The dual core and 8gb is fine for Final Cut Pro in my experience. what kind of video editing are you looking at? Casual or very complicated/long projects?

4. boast macrumors 65816

boast

5. ygys thread starter macrumors member

in my country there is not even an official apple store :D (Slovakia)
    so no refurbished macbook pro for me :-/

guys and how many monitors can I connect to the 13 rMBP?

Am I going to feel the difference between 2,6ghz and 2,8ghz i5 ?

length of the videos varies form 5 minutes to an hour.

I do not care about rendering speeds because I can let the computer to render things overnight .. only thing that worries me is the overall snappiness while editing .

6. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

Do yourself (or rather your wallet) a favor and go with the stock 13". The 2,6 is very responsive with Final Cut and exporting speeds are very satisfying. A one minute 1080p file takes about 40 seconds exporting to h.264 (single pass), which I find pretty amazing for a dual core chip.

I expect the difference between the 2,6 and the 2,8 to be negligible in your case, unless you do hours of transcoding before you start your project. Based on your needs, I also don't think you need 16gb purely for video editing.

As for monitors, I think you can hook up at least 2 displays to it. Not sure about more.

7. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

MBA 13 in with Haswell based is a perfect solution for your need. It has a best battery when you traveling a lot. And it is cheap than 13 in rMBP. It can handle heavy duty apps like FCPX very well. Good luck. :apple:

8. sevoneone macrumors 6502

I will toss my hat in here in support of this. I just recently did a similar trade-off. 2010 15" to a Refurbished Late 2013 rMBP 13" and have not been disappointed so far. It was actually Cloudsurfer's advice that convinced me to go for it. I have yet to encounter anything that runs slower than it did on my 2010 15", everything is the same of faster.

I find memory management in Mavericks and Yosemite to be very good, especially from what I've experienced with Yosemite on the 13" rMBP. Final Cut X will take all the RAM it can get, but it works very happily with a system with 8GB of RAM.