Video editing on the 2011 15" ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tommeh, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Tommeh macrumors member

I'm considering the base 15" high res mainly for internet,e-mail and webdesign but I also do HD video editing. Reading these forums I get the impression that the top model with the better gfx card is beter for gaming but would it be a big difference for editing video? Gaming isn't something I do at all on a laptop so that wouldn't be an issue, I have a PS3 for that.

2. simsaladimbamba

The GPU isn't used that much in video editing applications, thus the low end MBP will do jus fine editing properly transcoded HD footage.

Note: iMovie and FCE use the Apple Intermediate Codec for its footage, FCP also offers the ProRes codec, and AIC and ProRes are not CPU intensive. Consumer HD cameras use an MPEG-4 codec like H264 to store its footage, which is not meant for editing, but distribution anyway, therefore you have to transcode it to AIC or ProRes (if you use Apple products), as it is highly CPU intensive, but not GPU intensive as of now.

Btw, MRoogle is a good and often ignored tool to search MR Forums for answers to often repeated questions, and your question comes up almost daily.

3. 0007776 Suspended

The base model would be fine for video editing.