Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwar1976

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2019
Norwich
Hi all,

I was looking at videos on YouTube for editing videos on the iPad Pro with Apps like Premier Rush and LumaFusion. Now as my iPad hasn’t got the highest capacity, what I was wondering is it possible to use an external hdd with SD card reader, to copy from camera to the drive and edit without importing to the camera roll or maybe even upload to Creative Cloud bypassing the camera roll and edit when connected to the net ?.

Many thanks

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I think it's a good choice by developers, by trying to watch movies on an external monitor via a usb c hub with an ssd and hdmi out on my 2018 11 pro, it damaged my ssd with hundreds of movies and I am now working to recover the files via data recovery software, the files app is not ready to work reliably...

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I think it's a good choice by developers, by trying to watch movies on an external monitor via a usb c hub with an ssd and hdmi out on my 2018 11 pro, it damaged my ssd with hundreds of movies and I am now working to recover the files via data recovery software, the files app is not ready to work reliably...

I quit using Files because of its problems interfacing with exFAT external drives -

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/file-corruption-on-copy-to-external-storage.2235171/

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I should have read that thread before trying this.... Now while I am recovering almost everything, I am left with hundreds of files with no name, and have to try and figure out which movie is which and rename them all... ?

Yeah, anything I use with the iPad I make sure to have backups.

jwar1976

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2019
Norwich
LumaFusion needs a copy stored locally on the iPad for editing. It can import from external sources but cannot edit directly on those sources.
Thank you for that essential information, I am wondering if Premier Rush is capable of editing from external sources.

jwar1976

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2019
Norwich
Doubtful, as none of the other Adobe apps can (I use Lightroom & Photoshop on the iPad).
Oh that is a bugge, thank you for the reply tho. Hiw about video files via creative cloud can they be accessed like that, similar to photos added in collections on Lightroom ?.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Oh that is a bugge, thank you for the reply tho. Hiw about video files via creative cloud can they be accessed like that, similar to photos added in collections on Lightroom ?.

The Premium (subscription) version comes with 100GB of Creative Cloud storage and this talks about Creative Cloud interfacing -

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-rush/user-guide.html/premiere-rush/help/rush-mobile.ug.html

For video editing, my own preference is LumaFusion on the iPad and Adobe Premiere Elements on the desktop (Win10).

Reactions: jwar1976

jwar1976

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2019
Norwich

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
I was looking at videos on YouTube for editing videos on the iPad Pro with Apps like Premier Rush and LumaFusion.
Not trying to discourage you from trying, but just be aware that most of these YouTubers claiming “the iPad is great for video editing” don’t actually edit on an iPad once that video is done.

For me, I saw the iPad to have the potential to be an amazing video editor. Extremely portable, Amazing screen, Touch interface, USB-C, AirDrop, Mouse Support, Keyboard etc. And I invested in a 512GB Pro12.9 with hopes that I could shift some of my FinalCut work on here. But the reality is that the process works, but its a sloppy mess that feels like its held together with cheap glue.

Again, try it if you can because the potential is here and if you find a groove then it may even be fun. But until Apple actually starts addressing some of these major issues (or maybe even puts their own software on their own hardware) then video editing on ipad may be a very flawed experience.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
I enjoy editing video on luma with my iPad Pro. It works extremely well, so very fast and responsive- but yes, not being able to use an external, in the manner of macos is a massive limitation. I’m not sure if it’s the devs or Apple applying the limitation but I hope it’s addressed. I’m a photographer by trade, so video is secondary for me, and generally just small ten minute films produced, so it doesn’t really affect me too much. Not only that but I do successfully produce these relatively small clips using just my iPad and luma with only a 2018 64gb iPad Pro 12.9. I have a maxed 2018 Mac mini intel as well, but luma does the job with more pleasure than my Mac, for my usage.

Reactions: jwar1976

jwar1976

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2019
Norwich
Not trying to discourage you from trying, but just be aware that most of these YouTubers claiming “the iPad is great for video editing” don’t actually edit on an iPad once that video is done.

For me, I saw the iPad to have the potential to be an amazing video editor. Extremely portable, Amazing screen, Touch interface, USB-C, AirDrop, Mouse Support, Keyboard etc. And I invested in a 512GB Pro12.9 with hopes that I could shift some of my FinalCut work on here. But the reality is that the process works, but its a sloppy mess that feels like its held together with cheap glue.

Again, try it if you can because the potential is here and if you find a groove then it may even be fun. But until Apple actually starts addressing some of these major issues (or maybe even puts their own software on their own hardware) then video editing on ipad may be a very flawed experience.

No not at all it is always good to hear personal opinions of it, I will give it a attempt by all means. Basically I tried editing on my 2015 MacBook Pro as it has got a 1tb NVMe drive and unfortunately it was painfully sluggish even with the perfor mode enabled. So while I will be getting an 27” iMac in the next couple of months for all my main editing when at home, I would still need something for projects when away from home, so have been looking at possibilities with current equipment, without splashing out more as the year progresses.

As you say the iPad Pro has so much potential but no doubt Apple are now concentrating on the M1 series for intense tasks, so unfortunately the iPad isn’t a laptop replacement.

jwar1976

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2019
Norwich
I enjoy editing video on luma with my iPad Pro. It works extremely well, so very fast and responsive- but yes, not being able to use an external, in the manner of macos is a massive limitation. I’m not sure if it’s the devs or Apple applying the limitation but I hope it’s addressed. I’m a photographer by trade, so video is secondary for me, and generally just small ten minute films produced, so it doesn’t really affect me too much. Not only that but I do successfully produce these relatively small clips using just my iPad and luke with only a 2018 64gb iPad Pro 12.9. I have a maxed 2018 Mac mini intel as well, but luma does the job with more pleasure than my Mac, for my usage.

I am a photographer as well and love editing stills on both my DSLR & Mirrorless system, but now wish to go into the video side of things. Whilst most clips would be fairly short, this could of course be expanded as time goes on. I will give it a try and see what happens. Hopefully the issues will be addressed so that people are able to use the iPad when on the move, without having to take a laptop as well.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
I am a photographer as well and love editing stills on both my DSLR & Mirrorless system, but now wish to go into the video side of things. Whilst most clips would be fairly short, this could of course be expanded as time goes on. I will give it a try and see what happens. Hopefully the issues will be addressed so that people are able to use the iPad when on the move, without having to take a laptop as well.
I have been Mac mini + iPad and jump desktop only for over a year. I admit I needed to change a lot of workflow, and the absence of proper lightroom classic native on my iPad has been the sticking point, but actually it’s worked very very well. I have the 1tb Adobe plan if I’m shooting away from home, and I cull using file browser for business straight from the card. Works quite well but nowhere near as fluid as just using a laptop. That said, I don’t need a laptop on site much so it works well for me. And an iPad is way easier to carry and whip out than a laptop for most tasks the lightroom issue aside.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I have been Mac mini + iPad and jump desktop only for over a year. I admit I needed to change a lot of workflow, and the absence of proper lightroom classic native on my iPad has been the sticking point, but actually it’s worked very very well. I have the 1tb Adobe plan if I’m shooting away from home, and I cull using file browser for business straight from the card. Works quite well but nowhere near as fluid as just using a laptop. That said, I don’t need a laptop on site much so it works well for me. And an iPad is way easier to carry and whip out than a laptop for most tasks the lightroom issue aside.

Same here while traveling. Only additional step I add is to do a backup of the newest shots (RAW) from the camera's SD card to an HDD using a hub and FileBrowser for Business. I then rename the DCIM directory on the SD card to the shooting date and create a new DCIM in the camera. That gives me a copy on the card and on the HDD. I'll do some editing on the iPad (12.9 Pro) but the bulk I do at home on the desktop - it's more efficient and I have access to my storage system and media management tools. But I now leave my laptop at home.

jwar1976

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2019
Norwich

Must admit I hadn’t heard about Jump Desktop but gotta say it does look pretty good. The majority of photos I can edit fine on my iPad with LR Mobile especially if they are wildlife or sports images. The only time I use the full version of Lightroom on a laptop or desktop is if I am using portrait professional for quick skin softening on model shoots or if I need to use Topaz Denoise for high iso images.

Edit : Just found this regarding LumaFusion

Last edited:

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Must admit I hadn’t heard about Jump Desktop but gotta say it does look pretty good. The majority of photos I can edit fine on my iPad with LR Mobile especially if they are wildlife or sports images. The only time I use the full version of Lightroom on a laptop or desktop is if I am using portrait professional for quick skin softening on model shoots or if I need to use Topaz Denoise for high iso images.

Edit : Just found this regarding LumaFusion

Regarding the drive support, now... I haven’t used luma much this year (I’m a portrait photographer, and covid has reduced my workload to very little, even less requiring any video), but that seems to be worded badly.

You can link to the drive and access the stuff within luma, you can even preview it in there. But if you want to use it in a timeline it needs to be imported into the app, and therefore onto the iPad. You can preview and trim though, and luma let’s you just import the trimmed bit.

jwar1976

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2019
Norwich
Regarding the drive support, now... I haven’t used luma much this year (I’m a portrait photographer, and covid has reduced my workload to very little, even less requiring any video), but that seems to be worded badly.

You can link to the drive and access the stuff within luma, you can even preview it in there. But if you want to use it in a timeline it needs to be imported into the app, and therefore onto the iPad. You can preview and trim though, and luma let’s you just import the trimmed bit.

Thank you for that useful information, I have cleared some space on my iPad and have about 40gb to play with, so will be giving the different apps a try. I am also going to reduce the quality of the recordings from 4K to 1080 and see if my MacBook Pro runs smoother. Don’t get me wrong I have a MSI gaming laptop which runs brilliantly, but the plan for this year is to do all my editing Photo / Video / internet Radio on the Mac, and keep the MSI as purely a gaming machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.