Video Editing on the iMac?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Fritzables, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Fritzables macrumors regular

I have recently come across from the Windows arena and not enjoying Mac.
    Under Windows we created videos with the DivX/AVI format.

Do I need to worry about all this sort of thing under Mac as I see iMovie exports in the MOV format.

What is package of choice when creating video or is iMovie good enough for the job?

Pete

2. simsaladimbamba

.avi is the container format, Divx is the codec. Since Divx is an MPEG-4 codec variant, it is NOT meant for video editing.
    .mov is the preferred QuickTime container in Mac OS X and its editing applications (iMovie, Final Cut Express / Pro), but the codec varies due to different sources.
    The most common one is the Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) for video and Uncompressed for audio, for which you can use MPEG Streamclip to transcode your source videos to.

3. Fritzables thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks simsaladimbamba,

So, I still have the options to also create a true video format that has all the VOBs and the like??

Pete

4. simsaladimbamba

.mov is a "true" video format too.
    .vob files are associated with video DVDs, thus you can use iDVD to create a video DVD after finishing your project.
    Or what are you exactly trying to accomplish?

5. Fritzables thread starter macrumors regular

What I used to do under Billy's OS was create a number of Copulation Music DVDs.

I would then typically then burn to DVD in both formats. For the friends who had players that could accept DivX then I would save as AVI with the DivX codec.

For the people who's players didn't support DivX then I would then burn to disc the VOBs and directory structure.

So, that's pretty much it in a nut shell.

Pete

6. cgbier macrumors 6502a

You share your stuff directly from iMovie to iDVD, choose a menu template and go for a long coffee break.

7. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

Firstly: Go Maroons! (I don't follow football, just got caught up in the moment...)
    Secondly:
    :eek:
    Is that even legal in Queensland?

8. Fritzables thread starter macrumors regular

Yea, that's fair comment too martinX - I am privliged to know the band members pretty well and have a lot of undocumented footage that I put to gether and also share with them - it's all good.

Yea, what a game, got a tad worried at one point but we just ended up smash'n them !!! :D

Pete