Video Editing on the MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Infl8edEg0, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Infl8edEg0 macrumors newbie

Just wondering how well a 15" Macbook Pro 2.5GHz i7 8GB RAM would play and edit 1080p HD video shot on a Nikon d7000 compared to my current PC 1.6GHz i7 6GB RAM.

I'm considering purchasing a Macbook Pro, but first I want to make sure that it will be worth the buy. I do a lot of amateur photo and video editing (Photoshop, Lightroom, etc), and also some web design (Dreamweaver). If I got it, I would install Windows 7 Ultimate and do all of my editing there, because all of my software that I currently own is for Windows. Everything else I would do on OSX. I would build a desktop, but I'm a college student so I'm constantly moving around, and so I need to get a laptop. Also, I'm fine with the smaller 15" screen for photo/video editing because I have another display I would connect it to when I do so.

Also, should I get a SSD and buy an external drive, or just go with a bigger 7200rpm 750GB drive? And will it be worth the wait to get the newer line of Macbook Pros that are rumored to come out really soon?

Thanks a lot!

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

if the majority of your work is done in windows you could save money by buying a windows laptop with equal or better specs than the MBP

3. Infl8edEg0 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking. Thing is, in my opinion the build quality of a MBP is superior to most PC offerings available, and same with the battery life. I also am considering buying Final Cut Pro X for OSX, so my video editing would be done on the OSX operating sytem. A MBP would also come without any of the junk that most PC laptops have.

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

gotcha, well the current 15" MBP is powerfull enough for video and photo editing

5. Infl8edEg0 thread starter macrumors newbie

Gotcha, as far as I understand, the only real difference internally in the new MBP's would be the Ivy Bridge Processers right? Because I've heard that the newer MBP's won't have an optical drive and will be thinner, which would rule out the capability for me to either have an optical drive, or possibly install another HD later on.

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

other then ivy bridge any other changes are pure speculation, if you dont need now or soon you could wait if you dont like the new one once you actually know what it will include/exclude you will have many opotunities and available options to get a refurb 2011 model heck you will still be able to find new models for a few months after the new ones launch.

7. Infl8edEg0 thread starter macrumors newbie

Gotcha, it's rumored to release in the next month or so, correct? I can wait probably until May at the latest, and after that I'll need it. My current computer just doesn't cut it haha.

8. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

ya not sure about rumors I dont take them seriously especially apple rumours.