Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
You'd be surprised what you can run FCP (smoothly too!) with enough RAM and a 7200RPM hard drive. :)

jcjcjc87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2006
Quartz Extreme?

Hey Guys,

I am almost about to get my Macbook.

Just hunting around and i came across this article written by apple.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303683

Is the integrated graphics quartz extreme compatible as it is not stated on the article...but every Macbook comes with iLife ???

Once again i am confused.

Also on a different topic can you put the macbook to sleep when it is connected to an external monitor?

Cheers

Pancake

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2003
Anchorage, Alaska
jcjcjc87 said:
Hey Guys,

I didnt want to turn this into another Running FCP or not Debate...there are already heaps of those.

Put it this way when i get my Mac i will try FCP if it works...cool if it doesnt then its not the end of the world.

Back to my first post, not sure whether i should capture video straight to the laptop hard disk (5400rpm) or to an external HDD (7200rpm).

Thanks guys for your help

:)

I'd capture to the external. The extra speed should help you avoid not strange and that way you won't clutter up you main HDD with a bunch of video files.

octoberdeath

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2005
my brother just got a macbook for family videos and the like. i'm glad to see that it can handle its own.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
This is the solution for the situation you described:

1. Import the .dv files into FCP.
2. Place them on your timeline (preset: DV NTSC 48KHz).
3. Export QuickTime Movie / use current settings / audio and video / no markers / do not make self contained.
4. Import the resulting files into FCP.
5. Now edit from those resulting reference movies.

There, I saved you a few hours.

I doubt what you're talking about has been "fixed," because I think FCP needs QuickTime files to have timecode tracks. That's just the nature of how it works as far as I know.

shazammy said:
I have an iMac G5 2.0 ghz with 2.0 gigs of RAM that I bought last August (boy, it's a dinosaur now, right?). I edit on FCP (version 4.5), but before I got that program, I imported all of my footage into iMovie from the camera. I had to give the original tapes to someone in New York (I'm in LA) and won't see them again. What I've found is that if you import iMovie .dv files into FCP, they don't play well. They drop frames, and eventually freeze, while the audio continues to play. So, what I had to do to get around this (and this was a real pain) was "Export to Camera" from iMovie back onto the camera (like it was being shot again), and then reimport it BACK into FCP. What I want to know is, has that been fixed in subsequent versions of FCP? It was a real problem for me, and given that they are both Apple software, I thought they would play well together. For the record, I love the way iMovie imports video and slices it all up by your start/stop times. I haven't been able to get FCP (at least my version) to do that.

As MacRumorsUser said, READ THIS to see how Final Cut Studio runs on the MacBook.

jcjcjc87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2006
iDVD

Thanks for peoples response to my posts. I didnt realise it be as popular as it is!!

1 question with iMovie:
When capturing files in iMovie what format does it put it in - is it .dv or .mov?

Now with iDVD, some of the content that i will be capturing will come from VHS and old Hi8 Camera tapes (i am using a Canopus ADVC to capture). Since the quality is already low as it is (OLD OLD VHS) if i put 2 hours of video to burn with iDVD what will the quality be like (bitrate, compression). I know i wont get DVD quality but i dont want the quality to degrade any futher from VHS.

Again thanks for everyones help.

Cheers

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
It will work flawlessly. Heck, I've been editing on a 700 MHz eMac for 2 years!!!

Effects in FCP DO NOT use videocard to render themselves. It's all done by CPU and seeing that you are getting a dual-core 2 GHz system, it wont be a problem at all. Motion wont work, cuz it uses GPU to render, but you dont need it anyway :)

dollystereo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2004
France
IT WILL DEFINETLY RUN GREAT ON TAHT MACHINE!!!
even FCP 5, I use Final cut 5 on my dual 1ghz G4 and it runs flawless!
so your macbook wont have any trouble, even in real time.
Get a faster external drive for sratch and you will rock, seagates of 250 or 300 are the best ones.

jcjcjc87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2006
FF_productions said:
Make sure your external drive is FIREWIRE, not sure if it's been completely mentioned to you. USB2 is not recomended for video editing, do yourself a favor and make sure you use firewire.

Why is a USB2 hard disk not recomended for digital video?
As i understand, USB2 runs at 480mbps and firewire runs at 400.

Also if capturing video using firewire how can i use a firewire hdd if there is only one port?!?

I am planning on using a 300GB 7200 HDD, most likely Western Digital in an external case.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
jcjcjc87 said:
Why is a USB2 hard disk not recomended for digital video?
As i understand, USB2 runs at 480mbps and firewire runs at 400.
Read this:
http://www.usb-ware.com/firewire-vs-usb.htm

jcjcjc87 said:
Also if capturing video using firewire how can i use a firewire hdd if there is only one port?!?
FireWire external hard drives generally have two FireWire ports. You can chain your deck/camera and FireWire hard drive with your computer. This will give you no trouble at all unless and until your hard drive is over 80 or 85% full. You won't get dropped frames. I used to do this with a 700MHz G3 iBook with Final Cut Pro 3 with no problems; anything newer than that can handle this arrangement too.

jcjcjc87 said:
I am planning on using a 300GB 7200 HDD, most likely Western Digital in an external case.
That's a good plan.

ikonq

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2006
Apple say on their website that they dont support the GMA950 Chipset for use with FCS. That said- It seems to install fine. Motion is unusable though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.