Video editing options for my friend with an ibook G4

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by shu82, Mar 8, 2008.

1. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

A buddy of mine is trying to cut his teeth with video editing. Its not area I really work in (more of a print media type myself). I just sold him my wifes old 1.2 ghz ibook G4.

I was thinking imovie 06 would be great for someone who doesn't really know what they are doing and wants to know if it's he would enjoy this area.

Would there be any other option I should look into for him. My company will provide me with pro apps for home use at pretty reasonable prices. Its a bit of a pain in the ass and time to get it.

Are there options in the pro apps that he needs to play with? I just want to know if I should go through the trouble, he is in college and is considering a change of major.

2. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

I used to run Final Cut Pro (4.5) on an iBook G4. It's not the most pleasant experience in the world, but it works.

iMovie is a start but if he's thinking about something in the TV/film area, Final Cut Pro is probably the best option.

3. shu82 thread starter macrumors 6502a

shu82

But does it have something he really needs? I would understand the need for 06 vs 08 because of a timeline. But what other mind shattering concepts are available with pro apps that he would not get from imovie?

If he likes imovie 06 on a g4 and drops 5 g's on a mac pro setup. Will it overwhelm him or be something he can build upon with his prior knowledge?

I have no experience with video editing past imovie, so I just want an opinion of someone who has come up from the trenches.

4. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

I've never significantly used iMovie, but I do know iMovie is good for basic cutting, just like taking out the crappy parts of home movies. Maybe adding some transitions. Final Cut is multitrack video and audio, allows filters and effects. Basically iMovie is for people who don't know video and don't want to learn, whereas Final Cut Pro is essentially an industry standard.

If he's thinking about switching majors to TV or Film, Final Cut Pro is almost certainly what he will be using for his classes and career, so that might be what he'd want to try out first.

5. shu82 thread starter macrumors 6502a

shu82

Which version would be the least frustrating with the most future curriculum value for a g4 1.2ghz with 1.25gb of ram?

I just want to prepare him before he makes the big leap in the fall. I just want him to get a good picture of what he wants, he just got out of the army (2 tours) and is kinda floating about what he wants to do. I sold him the ibook with the listed stats for 320 in case you think I am an A hole with remorse. We have been friends all our live and I just don't want him to take out the huge loans for equipment unless he is certain.

FYI, Ive discovered 20K now means 200 a month for 25 years.

6. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

That will run iMovie 06 without breaking a sweat. I've edited dozens of videos on my 1.0GHz iBook G4 with half the RAM (640MB) without complaint. It is probably the best balance of ease-of-use : variety-of-features. Strongly recommended.

7. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

I'll say Final Cut Pro 4.5 because that is what I used on my iBook and it was no problem. It's kinda old but still useful for standard definition.

Again iMovie has nothing to do with professional stuff. It's fun to play with but has no real value in the industry.

Is he at a university yet? Where I am (Michigan State University) we have computer labs with the latest Final Cut Studio on them, available for anyone to use. Maybe he could try something like that?

8. shu82 thread starter macrumors 6502a

shu82

They do have a lab but he isn't in the program yet. I'll see if I can order 4.5. It sounds like it should work well enough.

Thanks All!

9. Richardthe4th macrumors regular

Why not Final Cut Express?

Hi,

Why not try FCE? Doesn't cost that much and it has almost all the same features as FCP. Difference is in the details (pro-decks etc). Depending on what he wants (just consumer/prosumer dv cam's?). You can do all the work on FCE and perhaps later import the project flawlessly on FCP.

There should be somewhere a list with differences. Check it out, might be a good option and FCE doesn't need that much 'iron'.

Grtz

10. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

I'm not sure FCE4 would even install on the iBook in question. I'm looking at the box for FCE4 and it gives the "minimum" system as a 1.25GHz G4; this one here is 1.2GHz. Close, I know, but I'd want to make darn sure it'll work before I spend the $$$. I tried installing it on my 1.0GHz iBook G4 and it laughed at me. :apple:

11. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Why not get an older version?

I strongly recommend Final Cut over iMovie. I started with iMovie and one day was given FCP4 and I couldn't even find how to import video from tape for some time! O_O

iMovie is for those who don't plan on moving further. Its VERY different from FC, aimed at grandmas to use. However if you start from Final Cut (express) and then find a need to move to something more advanced (Final Cut Pro) it would be very easy to do because FCE and FCP are largely identical apps and are based on the same interface principles.