Video Editing Place?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Hummer, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

My iBook sucks with handling resource intensive items such as video, music, and big photos. I need to edit a video for my AP European history project and I was just wondering if anyone knows of a place in New York City where I can edit video from a DV tape? Almost like an internet cafe, only with computers that have editing software already installed.

2. -DH macrumors 65816

Look in the yellow pages for "Video Production" or "Video Post Production." Then make some calls and check suitability for your needs.

-DH

3. lighthouse_man macrumors 6502a

I don't think a place like this would exist. Editing is known to take more than a simple hour on a computer that, in this case, gets abused by the passing by users. You should be looking into renting some office space in a post production company. That might cost.
    If you ever had edited on your computer without problems, but time clogging it with programs and files has caused it to act unreliable, another option you can do is set up a new account on your system and try to see if editing is smoother there.

4. -DH macrumors 65816

Many post-production houses rent edit suites with or without an editor. It isn't free, of course. The problem may be finding one set up to handle DV - most are set up for much higher-end formats.

-DH

5. not_batman macrumors newbie

Search for artist-run video post/production centres, I'm not sure of any in NY, but I do know that they are all over. Look for places that cater to smaller productions, documentaries, shorts, and more "arty" and "underground" types of projects. They will generally be cheaper and much more friendly and willing to help you out if you aren't sure of how to do something.

I could give you a whole list of places in Canada, but that probably wouldn't be too helpful...

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I don't think it'll be too hard to find a place equipped to handle DV. Finding a place that the OP can afford to use is going to be the hard part I think.

Hummer,
    You might check on Craigs List (and even put out an ad) and you might find someone w/a home office or boutique shop that might have better prices. Also, if you are will to work off-hours (meaning grave yard hours) most places will give you a cheaper rate than if you want to work during normal business hours.

Lethal

7. lighthouse_man macrumors 6502a

I agree and know about these options, probably didn't explain well my point. I was referring to the idea of a place, as I understood from the original question, like an Internet cafe or a school computer lab where you'd have a set of computers available for various reasons including editing.

8. ChrisA macrumors G4

Have you used Final Cut Pro very much. Are you good with it? If not it might take a couple weeks of study. It's a steep learning curve and you'd be paying a lot per hour, just learning the software.

Try renting a Mac Pro and doing the work at your location. This should be much cheaper.

Hang out at an Apple store for a few weeks and use one of their Mac Pros for free. Keep your work on an external drive. I've never seen them actually kick someone out.