Video Editing Software for old H8 movies?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by shaun0207, Jan 8, 2010.

1. shaun0207 macrumors newbie

Oct 3, 2009
    Hey Guy: (Hope I have the right forum)

I have some old home moves I created with a High 8 camcorder. I cant remember what I did with the camcorder, but I do still have the tapes.

On one of my older windows laptops, I used a Pinnacle Movie Box to bring the software from the RCA camcorder thru the USB port of my computer. Then I use Pinnacle Movie Studio 9 to create movies of the film and dropped them into either .avi or mpeg formatted videos on my computer.

I tired watching one my Macook Air and on my 50" TV and the quality looks horrible now. Is their any software on Mac or 3party software I could use to re-edit the mpeg or avi files and try and clear up some of the grainy video?

Thanks alot for the help
  2. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Dec 23, 2006
    In my imagination
    Truthfully your video is going to look like that no matter what. It depends on how your PC imported your footage. If the original file sizes were tiny (which I assume they are coming in through USB) then even blowing them up in a program like MPEG Streamclip won't do you much good.

Making the footage less grainy and/or larger, won't help the situation at all.
  3. shaun0207 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 3, 2009
    Thanks for the quick reply.

I kinda figured that. But I figured I'd at least ask just in case anybody knew of something. Thanks again
  4. bartap macrumors newbie

Jan 8, 2010
    Sony Hi 8 Tapes?

I used to use a Sony Hi8 camcorder but I upgraded (in 2000) to the Sony Digital 8 system. I did this because the Digital 8 can play the Sony Hi8 tapes. From there, I could use the firewire from the Digital 8 camcorder into the Mac/Imovie. If your tapes are compatible you could pick up a used Digital 8 and reimport the original footage.
  5. shaun0207 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 3, 2009
    That might be an option. Thanks