Video editing software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kirkbross, Oct 8, 2011.

1. kirkbross macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

I'm an amateur with an e2008 Mac Pro running the latest Lion and want to make some music videos. Final Cut Pro is not in my budget and seems a little deep for my needs. I can't seem to find iMovie on my clean install of Lion and it went missing on my clean install of Snow Leopard.

Suggestions for an inexpensive semi-powerful video editing application? Is iLife with iMovie my best bet?

I want to be able to do text overlays (titles), video layering, split screens, some limited FX, etc.. I'm a total amateur when it comes to video so I don't know the language -- I just know I want some tools to be able to be creative.

Note that I have very solid skills in Photoshop, Flash, Illustrator, Dreamweaver and Pro Tools so I'm a quick study... I just don't want to wast my money on iLife if there is a better option.

2. simsaladimbamba

iLife should be still on the second grey Restore DVD, that came with your Mac and you can install it again in iLife (if it is compatible with Lion). Lion does not include iLife.
    Try iMovie and see, if it can do what you want, though video layering will be a bit hard with that.

3. tmagman macrumors 6502

Adobe Premiere Elements is around $100 and has outstanding tools if you're looking for a little more than iMovie but not a full pro application. Has a lot of the tools that are in the full Premiere program but others are removed that aren't as necessary. Layering and doing multiple channels of video/audio is very slick in it.

4. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Mac app store sells iMovie alone for 15 bucks. You don't need an iLife to install it.

5. simsaladimbamba

But what if the version of iLife and iMovie, that came with the Mac Pro is sufficient for now? No need to buy iMovie again, even though it is a newer version, when it already came with the Mac?

6. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

okay I don't know much about iMovie but just happen to browse Mac app store for iMovie 11.

7. simsaladimbamba

I ****ing know that, but the OP does not need to spend money right now, as s/he still has iMovie on the second Restore DVD, from which it can be installed onto the Mac, and it won't cost money, unless the DVD is lost and the search would take hours.

Anyway, since OP hasn't been back yet, we can just speculate.

8. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

ok.... :confused: