Video Editing Software

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by JackT06, Dec 27, 2011.

1. JackT06 macrumors 6502

JackT06

Hello,

Please can someone give me a hand.. This year I would like to change the way my annual review is done, so i want to do it through a video aswell has having the usual pdf document one.

I want to create one along the line of this... http://youtu.be/WT6No8lDSBI with primary text, but short lines of text.

What sort of software would be needed? And being a student is there any free software?

2. simsaladimbamba

3. JackT06 thread starter macrumors 6502

JackT06

4. floh macrumors 6502

Yes, definitely try out first. Even the student version of After Effects is quite pricy, but it is awesome and the industry standard for effects and composition software.

If you don't want to go pro, you might also want to take a look at Apple's Motion from the App Store. It comes at 50$ and while it is not as powerful as After Effects, it can actually do a lot and is intuitive to handle. And cheaper.

Example for kinetic typography in Motion

In my opinion, it is actually better suited for beginners. After Effects is the way to go though if you are looking to do more Visual Effects or compositing in the future, there is no better program.

5. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Stuff like that is easily done in Motion.

After Effects is nearly overkill in this situation. While it is a terrific piece of software, its interface is too complicated for the casual user. The GUI concept of Motion is much easier to grasp.

6. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

Bear Grylls has an English accent?

Apart from that, IMO* that sort of thing is perfect for Motion. Taking existing elements and moving them about is what it does well.

(* an opinion of someone who hasn't yet completed Mark Spencer's great Motion tutorial book may not be worth much.)