video editing with FCP and Premiere Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nicholastjj, Aug 21, 2013.

1. nicholastjj macrumors newbie

I am currently trying to decide btw the 15 inch cmbp and 13 inch cmbp. Do you need a nvida gpu to perform video editing well on these programs? Price wise is a concern to me also. really need some views from you all. thanks!

2. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Yes, video editing benefits dramatically from a quad core processor and dedicated graphics. It's doable on a dual core processor and integrated graphics, but your experience will certainly be worse.

Having an SSD also makes a large difference.

3. DavidG328 macrumors regular

It can be done, but my cMBP (2012 2.5) was pretty slow with FCPX. I was all for a 13" rMBP in the next couple of months, but I think I'm going with 15" for the quad-CPu and dedicated GPU.

4. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

FCP X requires an OpenCL-capable GPU. The Iris Pro 5200 is a vast improvement over the 650m dGPU in this case.

Not a bad idea to wait for Haswell.

5. MacBookProzak macrumors regular

The cMBP you see in my signature line edits video productions everyday at work using FCPX. In my opinion, if video editing is what you are primarily gonna do, spec out the 15 inch cMBP like I did and you will be very happy. However, when the price of SSD 500GB drives come down in price more, I will add that, yet for the meantime the Hybrid drive has worked well. I may upgrade my cMBP when Haswell comes out... more power the better.

Here is a thread that I started last year when i got my 15 inch cMBP as I spec'd it out and the results I was getting.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1386040

Hope this helps in your decision.

6. nicholastjj thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for ur help. assuming i only get the 2.3ghz processor but with the same specs for ram and other. is it a big difference?

7. esskay macrumors 6502

I edit occasionally using FCPX on my cMBP13 2.7 i7. It's workable, but I came from Vegas on an old PC (core 2 quad) so I'm happy... but I've never compared to a cMBP15. I'm quite sure the 15 would be a much nicer experience. The fans on my 13 kick in straight away! ;)

8. nicholastjj thread starter macrumors newbie

I am just a student starting out college majoring in film. so the 15 inch is very expensive when added with applecare. I understand quad core would be much better.

9. esskay macrumors 6502

If you're majoring in film, seems the 15's capabilities could really be useful for you. Perhaps you should consider a refurb 15 to fit your budget? Or a used one within the first year so you can get AppleCare?

Not sure if you plan to always use an external monitor, but the other thing to consider is if you do editing while mobile, the screen real estate on a 13" can feel claustrophic for stuff like video editing. For me, productivity software like Office isn't too bad, but when doing any coding or video/photo editing, I really miss the extra real estate.

10. nicholastjj thread starter macrumors newbie

yea. i am now more inclined to the 15 inch now. what year was the cmbp 15 inch made in?

11. esskay, Aug 26, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2013

esskay macrumors 6502