Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blueicedj

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2007
I was wondering if there are any filmmakers out there who have an imac? Could you tell me how well this system works with video editing software and how well it can handle HD footage. Thanks

iMouseHD

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2007
In my experience would not use any thing else.

You may want to check out the digital video forums as well for more info.

diehardmacfan

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2007
this is a great machine for editing video unless your a professional filmaker that do big things then get a mac pro

but for the imac i would go with a 24inch because you get better graphics, but wait until the imac update happens.
And you would want to max out the ram in the imac.

As for HD, video editing: you would need a raid 0. You could hook that up with firewire 800 by using for say two 500 GB firewire 800 drives and then raid them using disk utility, and your in business for a good editing rig.

D ROCK

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2007
HD is not great...
yet.
it does work but not great. in Final Cut Pro.

apparently Adobe Premiers Latest version handles the HD very well. in fact I hear it blows FCP out of the water.
but I use and love FCP so I choose to ignore this advice for the time being and stick with non HD video projects... none of my customers have HD DVD's anyways....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.