Video Editing Workflow on iPad?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by -ND4SPD-, Jun 18, 2012.

1. -ND4SPD- macrumors newbie

I'd like to get some input here as I don't currently have an ipad or mackbook & I'm having a hard time envisioning the workflow needed to accomplish this.

I'm needing to buy something portable to edit weekly instructional videos on. I just don't have time to complete this task at home anymore. I do have time randomly through the day/ week to knock some of this out though. Here's what I need to accomplish:

1). Transfer files from my Canon Vixia HF S20 relatively quickly without the use of a desktop.
    2). Need to edit videos & upload to Dropbox
    3). Post the video on a website using WordPress
    4). Figure out internet access since at times I will have wifi access & other times I won't.

Much of the editing is stuff that seems like both iMovie or Avid can handle. Occasionally I'd still I will need to do some editing on a desktop/ laptop so I can do more creative stuff with filters & effects for promo videos (so compatibility would be nice).

IPad3 32 / 64gb or Mackbook Air or Mackbook Pro? I have roughly $900-1000 to spend & used or refurb is an option. OK, please discuss....

----------

I firmly believe that simpler is better which makes me lean towards the iPad as it's quick, efficient, portable, good battery life which make it appealing.

At the same time, I'd hate to make the purchase & realize I can't get done what I need to. Things like too many work-arounds or not enough memory/ processing power could make life miserable. This make a MBP appealing but it slower & I'm switching from windows to Mac so learning OSX will take a lot of time.

The Mackbook Air seems like a nice compromise but again, I have no in-depth experience, just playing with friends who have them.

Here's some of my initial thoughts to my own questions. Any input is appreciated.

1). Transfer files from my Canon Vixia HF S20 relatively quickly without the use of a desktop.
    - Camera Connection Kit should work but I'm not certain (what about file compatibility of AVCHD).
    - EyeFi Card (expensive for little storage)
    - Bluetooth video transfer maybe?

2). Need to edit videos & upload to dropbox
    - Their app seems to do a good job.

3). Post the video on a website using Wordpress
    I know WordPress has an app but it's sketchy sometimes & can just loose info for no reason. I'm not sure if it'll uploads videos from the app either.

4). Figure out internet access since at times I will have wifi access & other times I won't.
    - Obviously I could just get the LTE iPad & that solves that.
    - What about tethering from an iPhone?

2. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

the ipad won't work I am sorry to say. You have to shoot it on the ipad or an iphone.

3. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

The iPad isn't advanced enough in my opinion yet.

Yes it might seem cool to be able to tout that everything is done on the iPad but it would be completed much quicker on a computer.

I would get a refurb or second hand macbook/macbook pro.

What are you editing in at the moment?

If it's Avid you would find iMovie on the iPad very limited in comparison.

4. -ND4SPD- thread starter macrumors newbie

Here's a sample of the weekly stuff I'm editing. Nothing fancy, just get it done & get it up on the site for others to use. Definitely can be done on the iPad from my experiences playing with it. Again, my concern is getting the video to the iPad. That may be the deal breaker which then the Air or Pro becomes my only option.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s9v7166au4q7tj4/V-Lab Vol 1 (Bi's & Tri's).mp4

My video camera (Canon HF S20) was the top of the line consumer camera a little over a year ago. They've since released a better one (Canon HF G10) but it's a whopping $1500 ($300 more than what I paid for mine a year earlier) so that's not gonna happen. I'll go DSLR before I do that.

Some of the newer Canon's have built-in wifi that can load video directly to the ipad. Unfortunately these are getting bad reviews for being confusing & not user friendly. They also have an MP4 record option which is nice for compatibility reasons. These would certainly work but if I'm going to buy a dedicated video camera, it needs to be better. Heck, my iPhone films video that good & transfers straight to the ipad.

Speaking of... I have considered considered using my iPhone 4S/ mCamlite/ & Filmic Pro app just to do these weekly video's which are pretty basic keeping that set-up super light, portable, & easy to work with for on the go. Then leave the creative montages & wild effects to the real video camera & editing software when I have time.

This is why I keep wavering back & forth. So many choices & options. My company will pay for the accessories & software I need but i'll need to fork out for the actual tablet/ laptop.

5. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

Air

why shoot on that camera you have? you're not making anything really big.
    why not shoot:
    A. on the ipad, using some tripod mount
    B. with an iphone and move the footage over

with the either, you could use this:
    http://store.apple.com/ca/product/H4990ZM/B/Apogee_JAM_Guitar_Input?fnode=MjUxMDA5MjQ

use it with a wireless lapel, wired lapel or a good shotgun mic. the audio doesn't ahve that terrible auto gain with this device.

use an app like ALMOST DSLR to get rid of that bad lighting you have around 3:23

BAM. ipad win. use the ipad3

6. -ND4SPD- thread starter macrumors newbie

That's very much what I was thinking. The other promo stuff It's nice to have the manual focus for DOF shots as well as the articulating screen for odd angles for creative shots. For these weekly workout vids I was thinking the iPhone to iPad would be quick & easy. I can start editing immediately after shooting & have them posted within hours & not even touch a computer.

They do have a kit out now to add different lenses to the iPad & they have tripod mounts too. It would be nice shooting on the retina screen but the camera on the i4s is better.

As far as the lighting, I have a dimable LED light for the camera (which I didn't think I'd need in the 1st vid) & I will be getting another light to stand alone for backlit shots like you saw at 3mins in.