Video editing

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Trusteft, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Trusteft macrumors 6502

Trusteft

For anyone who might know. While the 2012 models have the more powerful CPU, does the presence of the "Iris Graphics" on the 2014 models, help to make the 2014 models (at least the higher model) at least as fast for video editing as the quad core 2012 models? For Final Cut Pro X and Avid and perhaps Lightworks.

2. Trusteft thread starter macrumors 6502

Trusteft

NVM, I just ordered the 2012, hope it goes well.

3. cinealta macrumors 6502

AFAIK, no. With video editing it's the actual CPU that does the rendering. So a quad-cores give you 2 additional cores of processing power. otoh the GPU is mainly responsible for drawing the screen and refreshes (eg playing games etc). Even the fastest screen redraw is useless if the rendering for an edit/transition/effect etc has not been completed yet. The 2012 quad-core should be the best.

4. fa8362 macrumors 65816

No. Bad choice.

5. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I asked a similar question a while ago here, and the consensus was that quad-core brings more benefit than a gpu.

6. Trusteft thread starter macrumors 6502

Trusteft

I hope you are all correct. The thing is, modern video editing software (for example Final Cut Pro X) allow the use of GPU for rendering and they tend to be very good at this.
    That's why I wouldn't bet on it. But no way to prove it since I don't have a Mac yet, waiting for it to arrive. (my first Mac)

7. cinealta macrumors 6502

Does the Mini's Intel HD 4000 GPU support OpenCL processing? AFAIK it's supported on the nMP's dual GPUs but not sure about the Mini.