Video Editiors!!!!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by SMP 4JC, Feb 24, 2010.

1. SMP 4JC macrumors newbie

i finally get to purchase my long awaited MBP. i would like some input from those of you that use your MBP daily for editting SD, HD and heavy photoshop and After effects.
    Whats your configuration and is it meeting all your demands within reason? (i know its not a mac pro!) :rolleyes:

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Are you in hurry? MBPs are due an update VERY soon so if you can wait, it'll pay back. As a video editor, all extra speed you can get for same price is great extra

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The current 15" MPB doesn't have the ExpressCard slot which makes it gimped for video purposes, IMO. I'd either buy a used 15" that has the slot, buy the 17", or wait to see if the next gen 15" MBP gets the the slot back.

Lethal

4. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

second that...

I got a good deal on a MBP a couple months before they yanked the expresscard and I feel very lucky I didn't wait. The late 2008 MBP's are great for SD and Compressed HD workflows. Mine runs PS cs3 very well... don't run AE too much, but it does alright.

5. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Lol...

I use a 17 inch MBP 2.8 with anti-glare screen. I run FCS 3, Cakewalk, Aperature 3, Quark, Tiffen effects, and others. My 'puter screams along at a frenzied pace. I use HD media for origination and the MBP seems to handle everything I can throw at it. I love the high resolution screen. I also love the portability of this laptop. It's the best as far as I am concerned.

Don't be mislead about the "gotta have the latest and greatest" soothsayers here. I recall several years ago they were saying the same thing about the 2.16 model. And then the 2.4. Then the 2.5. I mean these notebooks are updated regularly by Apple so you have an immediate need just go out and buy one. The new model coming out is not going to do things any differently. You will still have a keyboard to type on and multipad and screen. Only the innards will change. And I doubt they will change that much. Maybe 5 years from now yes, but not two months away.

6. SMP 4JC thread starter macrumors newbie

I use a 17 inch MBP 2.8 with anti-glare screen. I run FCS 3, Cakewalk, Aperature 3, Quark, Tiffen effects, and others. My 'puter screams along at a frenzied pace. I use HD media for origination and the MBP seems to handle everything I can throw at it. I love the high resolution screen. I also love the portability of this laptop. It's the best as far as I am concerned.

Don't be mislead about the "gotta have the latest and greatest" soothsayers here. I recall several years ago they were saying the same thing about the 2.16 model. And then the 2.4. Then the 2.5. I mean these notebooks are updated regularly by Apple so you have an immediate need just go out and buy one. The new model coming out is not going to do things any differently. You will still have a keyboard to type on and multipad and screen. Only the innards will change. And I doubt they will change that much. Maybe 5 years from now yes, but not two months away.[/QUOTE]

That is good to hear. My old core duo did alright with CS4 except rendering times sucked!!

on a side note how does that express card slot really help dont most people use the firewire for inputting video anyways?

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The express card slot allows you to do things like hook up fast eSATA RAIDs, add more FW ports (which won't use the same bus as the built in ports) use I/O devices like the Matrox MXO 2, and offload footage from the Sony EX1/3 or AJA Ki Pro.

Lethal

8. GeekOFComedy macrumors 6502a

I edit 1080p video on my macbook pro 13" 2.53GHz/4GB/500GB with FCS. I either import 720p footage or 1080p footage then i export out to 1440x1080 which is 1080i format and youtube accepts it fine! :D Editings fine as i usually encode it in Apple Pro 444 Proxy or apple intimidating codec (nickname) and while editing i don't need to render if i add a effect (Not unlimited RT FYI) it's usually exporting that takes a while so i either hook the files to my render farm hackintosh quad core or i just let it export over night. (Takes 4 hours to export 1920x1070 6 min clip from experience)

9. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Yeah, but this update will be big, going from 2 to 4 cores total. The wait is definately worth it this time!

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I thought so too, but they Arrandale only uses 2 cores.

But they have something called Hyper-Threading, which will allow two threads per core, thus 4 threads at the same time.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2357283,00.asp

11. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Agreed, but if an update is imminent (days or weeks away), then why not wait a short while and get the better, faster model. Since Apple's pricing tends to be constant, the best value-for-money comes right when the new technology is released. 11 months later, the prices are the same even though the technology is that much more dated, until the latest update is released and the cycle repeats.