Video Editor looking to purchase Mac to run FCP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Paz8, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Paz8 macrumors newbie

Hi, I am looking to buy a new computer, and was looking for some help in finding the right one for me. I work in video production, and for the past few years have used Final Cut Pro on a computer at the office for most of my work. My personal computer which I have had for roughly 7 years now is due for an upgrade and I would like to be able to run FCP at home so I have decided to switch over to a mac from PC.

However, I am not entirely sure about what type of mac and which specifications would be best for me. As stated above, I want to be able to run FCP, but since this will also be my everyday, normal use computer I would also prefer it to be a laptop.

Can someone help me decide which mac to go with and perhaps offer any suggestions of upgrades/add-ons I should get.

Thanks in advance.

2. Paz8 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have roughly $3000 to spend, but thats not really a hard budget. I'd be willing to go a bit above that if I felt it'd be worth it, but obviously if I don't have to spend that much I won't.

I also should have noted in the original post that I already own a monitor that I plan to attach to the laptop to run a dual display when I am doing most of my editing, so the screen size is not too big an issue.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Then the 15" won't be much of a problem for you.

What do you plan to edit though?
    SD or HD and with what camera?

What shall be the final delivery medium?

Do you need only FCP or all the other software in FCS?

4. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

I have the previous mbp with 4 gig of ram. I use it to edit xdcam HD from my sony EX camera. The Mbp handels it just fine. Only when you render it takes a long time compared to my mac pro.
    It runs motion, but not very well. Same with color. Not sure if you use those though. I don't use them much and go to my mac pro if I need to.
    The 15 is a bit small to edit on for linger periods, but as you have an external monitor you should be fine.
    Unless you need the portabillity consider an iMac

5. Paz8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Most of the work I'd be doing on this computer would be freelance stuff, so cameras, media, etc would probably vary. Haven't quite made up my mind on FCP vs FCS yet.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

FCP only comes with FCS, only FCE is standalone, but has fewer features.

7. Paz8 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, yeah thats what I thought, you confused me with the original question. I don't want FCE too much stuff it can't do

8. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

So you want a laptop? You didnt really make that clear...

Any of the MBPs would be fine for your use.

Guess is this as good as time as any to say "wait to buy"?

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

after reading your first post my mind was set to "i5 imac"... but seeing as though you want a portable computer, the top end 15" mbp will be alright - but you should wait, new updates will come out soon.

10. Paz8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I probably wasn't gonna make the purchase until later this month anyway, just wanted to start researching now. I hope the update doesn't happen much later than that though b/c my workflow will be changing around then, and I'll probably want the new comp not too long after.