Video editor needs advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by c-what, Jul 23, 2009.

1. c-what macrumors newbie

I'm considering buying a G5 to do video editing on but was wondering if anyone uses them could recommend them?or would i just be better of buying an intel based imac?I have a nice 20" monitor which could be used with a g5 or an imac but im not sure if the imacs support dual screen?
    Any advice would be appreciated
    Thanks

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

iMacs do support dual screen.

I'm not a video editor, but at this point I would recommend against a pre-Intel model. Try to find a Core 2 Duo machine used, or from the refurb store. Long term it will be a better investment than the G5 you're eyeing.

3. axiomission macrumors member

I'm not sure what your situation is, but I don't understand why you'd want to go for a G5 tower when you can get an iMac that uses less energy and is significantly faster and a better bang for your buck.

iMacs do support dual screen (mine has miniDVI, but I think the new ones switched to MiniDisplayPort).

A couple of questions:
    What's your budget?
    What's the specs on the G5 you are planning to get?

If you happen to get an Apple mac now before september, you are eligible for a $10 upgrade to Snow Leopard. Or you can wait until September when Snow Leopard is standard on all of them.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Don't get PPC Mac. Even Mini beats PowerMac G5.

5. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Get a Mac Mini or an iMac because it is newer technology and out performs the G5.

6. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

Even the Imac will be a little punchy, I recommend a quad MacPro for the video realm at least. More expandability & raw crunching power for video.