Video editor/producer

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Badrottie, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

As stated above, are you using 13", 15", or 17" MBP? I am starting to use video editing more and more lately for YouTube and I am using 15" MBP even thought I am happy with it but I have seen more people start selling 13" MBP on Craigslist.....13" MBP for video editing?

I use both iMovie and Final Cut Pro X

2. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I use a 17 for speed, size, and capacity. I don't use FCPX or iMovie, but FCP 7 and Premiere Pro so the extra screen real estate is essential. That being said I have used a 13" for editing pieces in the past, I find it cramped visually, but that's me.

3. MacBookProzak macrumors regular

I am using a 15' that you see in the signature below. I am editing video that is web based TV all week long for 8 to 12 hours at a time and this machine is do9ng a great job. I have added the LaCie Little Thunderbolt drive to provide speed and that is daisy chained to a monitor that I work from. The screen of the laptop itself is when I leave my email and IM open. I am having zero issues with this MBP throwing video through it all day long.

Hope the experience helps you

4. saberahul macrumors 68040

Never had problems or speed issues on my 13" MBPs. I like the portability so I went with the 13 rather than the 15 or 17.

5. AntJon82 macrumors member

AntJon82

video

i use a 13" early 2011 i7 model theres nothing wrong with it at all and doin video on is great just get 8-16 gig of mem and the skys the limit

6. Badrottie thread starter Suspended

Badrottie

I should have more explain bit more about small 13" screen size when you are doing video editing. I wouldn't care about memory, hard drive, CPU etc. I am talking about screen size.

Sorry to confuse you :(

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

8. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

Does your mbp scream while it's rendering or whatever?

9. danakm macrumors regular

danakm

This is a subjective topic. Personally, for any kind of image editing I would prefer a 17" because screen space does make a difference. However, I find the 17" laptops to be too much of a hassle to carry around if you need mobility, which is why I compromise with a 15". I love the 13" ones because they're tiny and light, but wouldn't use them for video or image editing.

As I said, it's a subjective thing, so it comes down to how much would it bother you to work on a small crammed screen.

Another thing to consider is the complexity/requirements of the programs you plan on using, as some high end video editing apps (like Autodesk Smoke) will complain about screen resolution if you try to run them on a 13" and that might cause issues.

Finally, I would say it's all up to the amount of video editing you do on the go, because if you mostly edit home, but would rather have a smaller computer to carry around with you, you can always buy a 17"+ external monitor :)

10. Badrottie thread starter Suspended

Badrottie

11. MacBookProzak macrumors regular

...mmm, not sure how I would define "scream", however I can tell you that rendering speed is alot faster than what I was used to before for 60% of the video I cut through it, so for my experience I can get things done pretty fast. On my other system I was not doing too much green screen because it would bog the system down and on this system it seems to render it way better, but not at a pace that I would say "screaming".

12. tinselworm macrumors newbie

I would say stick with your 15".

It is a very subjective topic, BUT I've used various incarnations of Final Cut Pro on various MacBook Pros and PowerBooks. 15 has always been the best compromise between portability and usability when traveling. I would add though that whenever I'm in a studio somewhere or at home I always hook my mac up to a big display wherever possible.