video editor seeking macbook pro purchase advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by diasporize, Apr 21, 2011.

1. diasporize macrumors newbie

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could give me advice about buying a macbook which i will mainly be using for video editing. I need to be mobile so I know I want a laptop.

I am thinking of buying the Mac Book Pro 15-inch: 2.2 GHz.

1. I'm not sure whether I should by the model as is or I should invest in upgrading the hardware?

2. I hear there is a new cable/hard-drive which is recommended for heavy work like editing. Does anyone know what this product is called?

3. Any other tips/hints will be much appreciated!

I have been procrastinating with this investment for over a year, so please go easy on me, the simpler the better. I live outside the US and have a friend who is there for the next week and will bring it back for me. So this is my opportunity to get apple products for the lowest price.

Many thanks!

2. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

The new harddrive cable is named Thunderbolt (Intel's Lightpeak). You have it on all the new MBPs. If I were you I would have a thorough look at the new Final Cut Pro requirements which is due to be released soon.

3. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I use FCP fairly regularly and I know someone very well who is a film editor. I am upgrading my late 2008 MBP to a 2.2GHz 15" MBP with 8GB RAM from Crucial because with FCPX using GCD and 64 bit, I'd like to take advantage of that extra power.

4. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore