Video editor that keeps captions

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Gentile, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Gentile, Jun 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011

Gentile macrumors regular

Gentile

I am trying to edit H.264 video by cutting out scenes throughout it. I have used Mpeg Streamclip and it works well.

However, when I do this I lose closed captioning which is not ok.

Is there software that can do simple editing of the video and leave closed captioning in?

iMovie '09 does not import the video.

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

No.

Most compressed videos that have subtitling added do so using an external file created by a separate subtitling application, or one that's embedded into the video file itself. In either case, it's still a file and that file relies on the timecode values of the video (e.g. when the subtitles appear and for how long) to function properly. When you edit the video, everything goes out of sync.

Besides, MPEG Streamclip and practically any NLE is simply going to ignore the subtitle information anyway and just display the video, since the subtitles aren't actually "baked into" the video itself.

If you need the subtitles, you either have to add them yourself later using a subtitling application or just use a text generator in your NLE.

3. Gentile thread starter macrumors regular

Gentile

I have solved my problem.

I used Quicktime X to trim several parts from a video and named them part 1, part 2, etc.

Then I joined them using Quicktime 7 by opening part 1 and dragging the other parts in it. When I go to close the video, it asks me to save the video.

The saved video includes only the parts I wanted and keeps the captioning!

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Thanks for coming back and sharing your solution with us, Gentile.

Lethal

5. Gentile thread starter macrumors regular

Gentile

I think I spoke too soon. When I join these files under Quicktime 7, it saves it as a .mov file. However, this .mov file appears to be just the container file that only points to all the separate files on my hard drive. If I go to transfer that file to another computer it does not play because all the separate files are not available on the new computer.

If I truly combine all these separate files into one h.264 file by doing a "save as" under Quicktime X or converting it to an AppleTv format under itunes it still loses the captioning.

6. Gentile thread starter macrumors regular

Gentile

I think I figured this out now.

I am using Quicktime X to trim clips from a larger video. I save them as part 1, part 2, etc.

Then I use QT Sync to join them together as a self-contained movie. The resulting video retains the closed captioning.

7. DisMyMac macrumors 65816

DisMyMac

QT Sync sounds like the old QT player before Apple crippled it. I'll try it out.

I'm surprised there aren't more frameworks for editing video with captions and subtitles. It's the law in many countries to accommodate disabilities. Some Asian countries also mandate subtitles, since the same characters can be adapted for different languages.