Video Editors!! iMac 27" late 2013 vs 5K iMac (Final Cut, Adobe)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by misterpopotv, Jan 29, 2015.

1. misterpopotv macrumors newbie

Jan 29, 2015
    Greetings and salutations,

I've been racking my head for the past week about getting a new mac. I'm a youtuber and I put up nearly 2-3 videos a day sometimes on my Non retina MBP 2012 with no upgrades. Its been 3 years and as I expand my channel and I'm starting to think about short films, music videos and more, I am in the market of a new buying a new mac. I want to eventually work with 4K but for now 4K on youtube unless its a short film seems overkill. I'm a noob when it comes to mac buts from what I researched I need RAM, Fusion Drive, Strong Graphics Card and a strong processor. I really want to cut down on the editing, rendering and exporting and increase my work follow. I've also read that I should be editing on an external drive so i considered the G-RAID Thunderbolt.

After researching, the iMac I want to configure looks like this:
    -Late 2013 non retina iMac
    -i7 Processor
    -16GB RAM (Maybe 24GB?)
    -1TB Fusion Drive
    -NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB GDDR5 (Is there a big difference from the 775M 2GB)
    -I'm considering getting a G-RAID Thunderbolt 4GB*

I also have Logic Pro, I do gaming videos using the elgato, I have mixing programs. I want to keep everything under $3000 if possible. I don't want to buy another mac for at least 4-5 years, I figure I can buy a 4K-5K display if I did video in that quality.

I'm really lost on what to do. Do I even need an iMac or could an external drive fix my worries. Any and all help is appreciated!!
  2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Apr 23, 2011
    GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
    I'd go for a 512GB SSD instead of the Fusion Drive. It's much faster.

And yes, the 780M is much more powerful than the 775M in CUDA accelerated software.

One thing is for sure - you definitely need a quad core i7. An i5 won't cut it because it doesn't have hyper threading. HT really speeds up rendering times.