Video Encoding Speed/Time/Benchmarks

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by BrittQ, Dec 12, 2007.

1. BrittQ macrumors regular

I am going to purchase my first mac in Januarary. I plan on doing a decent amount of video work.

I am looking for video encoding times or benchmarks to help me with my decision. Anyone have a link to this type of data?

Feel free to post your specs and results.

2. Keebler macrumors 68030

Hi Britt,

What do you plan to encode into? mpeg2? h.264? .mov?
    that would help us b/c the format determines which software is used.

ie. i use bitvice to encode mpeg2s on my 2.66 mac pro and a 1.5 hour movie will take about 4.5-5 hours.

cheers,
    keebler

3. BrittQ thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Keebler,

I will be doing a variety of types (mainly mpeg2 and h.264). I guess what I want to know is what % performance (video encoding speed) increase is there between a macbook - mbp - and mac pro/quad/octo:)

So I can evaluate cost and performance according to my needs and resources.

I was hoping someone somewhere had done a test amoungst several computers with the same file and software.

But if that doesn't exist, it would help if people could post their details.

4. csimon2 macrumors member

If you are trying to gauge what are the fastest encoders on the mac, the Episode products from Telestream are very efficient and multi-core aware. For MPEG-2, MainConcept is very fast, especially on a quad-core system. BitVice is quite slow, but it does have a good MPEG-2 encoder, moreso for interlaced sources than for progressive sources.

5. scamateur macrumors member

"barefeats.com" has lots of comparison data of the type I think you are looking for.

6. scamateur macrumors member

Also, Primate Labs posts tons of results using their benchmarking application "Geekbench" on their site and blog and "Geekbench Result Browser."