Video equipment set up questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bsmith1, Apr 13, 2008.

1. bsmith1 macrumors newbie

I need to set up some equipment for shooting and then editing sports related video. I would appreciate suggestions on the following;

1) Which camcorders work best with Macs? I don't want to have to do a lot of converting video formats.

2) What should I be looking for to shoot fast moving subjects, and then be able to show it clearly in slow or stop motion?

3) Anyone use dartfish? http://www.dartfish.com/en/index.htm
    Windows based program, will run it in boot camp, any special considerations in regards to equipment with this?

2) I have a quad core mac pro for working with the files when at home, what type of laptop should I get for onsite work? Best to get a pro, or will the regular macbook or air be suitable?

Thanks

2. Will_reed macrumors 6502

Will_reed

I'd say go with the macbook pro and yes your said app will run in boot camp.
    Camera is a different ball game I guess it depends what your budget is.
    Pretty much any camera will work fine with a mac and shooting good fast motion stuff is pretty much as simple as playing with the shutter settings.

3. macdot macrumors 6502

What is your camera budget? That makes a huge difference.

Why no Final Cut love? It's a whole lot more friendly (and powerful) than just about anything out there. If you're planning on buying a camera and MacBook Pro I can't imagine $300 really breaking the bank.

4. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

I would suggest the MBP, as it has a dedicated video card, FW800 port for portable drives, and a larger screen. I've never heard of dartfish, but suggest using Final Cut, as it's a great program with a lot of extras that make your workflow smooth, and runs natively. If you're just starting out, and not experienced with editing, you could opt for Final Cut Express. It's less expensive, and has plenty of features. Good luck to you. :)