Video Export speed?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by salacious, Mar 16, 2012.

1. salacious macrumors 6502a

Hi I have a MBP 13" 2011 i5 early 2.3ghz 8gb ram and a 320gb HDD,

i have 160gb left, now when i try to export a movie from motion 5, about 7 minutes long, it takes 17 minutes?

to me this is slow, however maybe this is the correct amount of time to wait as i have been used to video editing on a mac pro, could anyone tell me of how to boost the export speeds..?

im thinking of getting a 1tb HDD and possibly removing the optical drive and putting in another drive?

2. floh macrumors 6502

If you have 50% of your hard drive left, the problem will definitely not be the hard drive usage. If you do a lot of editing and want to spend money on a hard drive, rather think about getting an external FW800 drive, since it may slow things down significantly if your footage and your export folder are on the same hard drive as your system and software.

As for the export: I need some more information from you before I can judge if this is a normal rendering time. First of all: What are you exporting as? If you chose an H.264 codec for smaller file size, the export will be slow and 17 minutes is quite expectable, since the codec is pretty complicated. If you are going for ProRes, it should be faster... And secondly: What are you doing in Motion? If you did a greenscreen masking, some tracking and added 10 flame balls and a bunch of animated text, then of course your export will be very slow because Motion will render all of that on export. If you just put in your footage and export it without any effects or compositing, it is of course much faster (although a little useless... :))

3. WRP macrumors 6502a

What he said^ And how complex is this graphically? What filters do you have applied? Filters and motion blur can make a render crawl. I had a 5 second comp that would take 4-6 hours to export from After Effects depending on the tweaks I had to make. 17 minutes for 7 minutes? pfft. consider yourself lucky.

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Yeah, w/o more info no one can say if that's normal or not. It's like asking if it's normal to take a hour to get from point A to point B w/o telling us where point A is, where point B is and your method of transportation.

One time I helped a fellow editor who was complaining that just rendering a few seconds of text over picture in a FCP timeline was taking 10mins. When I looked at his project the 'text' was actually a massive PNG file. When he resized it down to HD in PS and tried it again things went much faster. :D

Lethal

5. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

more importantly, isn't Motion GPU based? MBP's aren't known for their beefy GPU's.

6. floh macrumors 6502

Yes and no. Most particle effects will be rendered on the GPU and a notebook will certainly perform less powerful there. However, the H.264 encoding on export and e.g. keying and some other compositing is done on the CPU.

Anyways, it all doesn't matter until he tells us what he wants to render and what he want to render it into. :)

17 minutes for a 7 minute video sounds suspiciously like applying no serious effects and rendering into H.264 on export. Then I would guess a time in that range.