Video feedback plz

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by thabandit, Dec 22, 2010.

1. thabandit macrumors member

2. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

well done.
    what gear did you use to shoot this?
    it was reallt smooth.

3. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

It lacks rhythm. You may have only put it to the music in post, but once you've done that you need to work with it. Music videos are like music in that you won't always want to cut on the beat, but whether you do or don't, it has to be intentional. Similarly, your visuals don't need to match every aggressive moment in the track, but if it doesn't match sometimes the two seem completely unrelated.

And there were some odd cuts. Ones that didn't quite make it as jump or match cuts. If they don't work with the footage you've got, leave them out.

The rest of my criticism is just stuff that could be tightened or tuned. Some shots start too soon. Ideally the car would be dead-on straight facing the camera at 1:06. I wouldn't introduce a new effect as late as 3:19. I'd have more speed effects. Framing and vignettes could be bettered. Resist the urge to arbitrarily rack focus (you weren't OTT, but there were a couple of times when what I wanted to see was out of focus).

There's plenty of room for improvement, but it's certainly not terrible (if the above made it seem that way). And I particularly liked the push in at 3:05.

4. kolax macrumors G3

Agreed, the quality was really good of the footage. What did you use to shoot? What timeline settings and end compression did you use?