Video file size? Trying to decide on 16 or 32GB

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Learjet035, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Learjet035 macrumors 6502

Can someone shoot 1 minute worth of 720p vid and let me know how big it is?

I'm curious how fast I'll fill up 16 gb

I have 16gb now on my 3GS and I'm not even close to full.

Thanks!

2. aevreyb macrumors newbie

3. mojo8472 macrumors member

Judging by the filesize/runtime of Engadget's video I'd estimate it to be around 1.3MB/s

4. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

I think a 1 minute video in 720p will be 80mb but i'm not sure

someone wrote that on here somewhere.

I say, never limit yourself. you never know whats going to happen down the road. you may just want to put a lot of music and movies on it.

heck, when the 2G came out I got the 4GB version cuz I thought I would never put more than 70 songs on a PHONE! cut to now, 16GB is barely cutting it....

5. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

Yeah space consumption seems to grow with availability at thresholds. What I mean is, when I had an 8gb phone I was like... okay that's fine, I'll just make a few playlists of my favorite stuff and hardly ever used over 5gb.

Then when I had a 16gb phone, similar situation but I filled it up easily because I started putting unwatched back-episodes of The X-Files on there, along with every daily show and all that. Still I didn't care, I could've done with 10-12gb and just carried fewer episodes.

Then 32gb comes and magically I can fit my entire "checked" music collection at once, several movies, tv episodes, and all the apps I can eat, including the big adventure games. But now I have like 1gb free and some days get the warning about filling it up because I forgot to watch an episode of TDS or something.

So the bigger my available space was, the more easily I filled it ... go figure. And to add to the point, other than apps, the vast majority of which are small, I had all the media before the phones, so the greater space didn't drive me to buy a bunch of TV episodes or something.

Ultimately I think the only real advice is to... buy as much space as you can afford to. You can't predict your habits until you can practice them with the available storage. If you're even thinking about running out of space filming stuff at 720p, then don't even consider the 16gb, just save yourself the trouble and get the 32gb, it's only $100 more, and the flash memory in these devices is quite fast. As a comparison, class 10 sandisk 16gb SD cards cost about $95 on Amazon (can't risk counterfeits when performance counts). I would estimate the iPhone flash is between class 6 and 8, meaning that even if you could buy more memory later, you wouldn't be saving that much by doing so.

But you can't. So just get the 32gb :-D

6. Learjet035 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks!

Yeah, I'm all for gettn more than you need and I'd hate to run outta space but...

I really only need like 1-2 GB of music since I use Pandora most of the time.

I have about 50BG of music and 50 GB of pics, but on my phone I really only need the best of the best so total is only a few gigs for both.

I'm loaded with apps and a years worth of phone stuff and still have 4gb left free.
    Never too far from my computer so I'm thinking 16gb will be fine until next year when I upgrade again. I know I will, I can't help it!

We all have our weaknesses.

7. Lacos macrumors member

Hi all,

i am getting a 16GB Version of the iPhone 4.. Now i dont know if it would be better to sell it and order the 32GB Version?!
    My concern is that the 16GB size could not be sufficent because of the whole
    picture / video capabilities of the new iphone..

Can somebody of post some file size of 5MP photos and the file size of 1 minute hd video?

I only have 5-6GB music to load onto the iphone, but still can not decide..

Lacos

8. jwwpua macrumors member

HD (720p) video is 78 MB / minute (4.6GB / hour)
    5 MP pictures are a little under 2 MB / picture

9. Lacos macrumors member